PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 1881 Census Look Up Please

paul_johnson
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello, 8)

I am trying to trace my Johnson ancestry but finding it very difficult. I would be very grateful if you could do an 1881 census look up for George Johnson who was born about 1861 in New Durham, Wingate, County Durham. He was a miner and so was his father, also called George, but I do not know when he was born.
In 1886, George jnr was living in Cornforth Lane, Cornforth or Coxhoe, County Durham, when he married Elizabeth Emma Bridges at Holy Trinity Church, West Cornforth, Ferryhill, Durham. Then in 1901 he had moved back to Wingate, County Durham.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Paul Johnson

Peter Goodey
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
But it's free! :D

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

Also available free on other sites.

Peter Goodey
12-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm wondering if you might have meant to say that you were having difficulty finding him in 1881 (and earlier?). There is only one index to the 1881 census, accessible in several places.

One reason for people to apparently disappear as they get younger ;) is because there's been a change of name. I just mention this as a possibility that you might like to bear in mind.

jeeb
12-12-2007, 7:04 PM
Hi Paul,
Here is George on both 1871 & 1881 censuses.

You may be interested in father's birthplace but he is dead by 1881.

1871 census
RG10/4969 Folio 10 Page 13
Shadforth, Durham
George Johnson 61 Coal Miner Lab born Cumbs. Low Ireby
Susannah wife 57 born Westmoreland, Smardle
Robert son 22 Coal Waggoner born Westmoreland Warsop
Margaret dau 21 born westmoreland Warsop
Elizabeth dau 12 born Old Durham
George son 11 Lab in coal mine born New Durham
James son 9 born Sherburn
Mary A Johnson Nursed baby 3mths born Sunderland

1881 census
RG11/4971 Folio 87 Page 62
Hutton Henry, Durham
Susannah Johnson 61 widow born Westmoreland smeardale
Margaret dau 28 born westmoreland Mount Pleasant
George son 21 Gen Lab born Durham City
James son 18 Gen Lab born Sherburn Hill
Robert H. 1 Grandson born Durham. Camp

Note the ages of the mother and oldest dau have dropped a few years! This is not uncommon on censuses.

Jeremy

paul_johnson
14-12-2007, 9:22 PM
Thanks all,

I would like to say that's definitely them but, I don't know the name of his mother or the names of his siblings. So, without that information i can't be sure for certain.

I've decided that I will need to buy his birth certificate to find out who his mother is but, I've discovered that i can't find his birth record number.

Can any of you help with this?

Many thanks,

Paul

jeeb
14-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks all,

I would like to say that's definitely them but, I don't know the name of his mother or the names of his siblings. So, without that information i can't be sure for certain.

I've decided that I will need to buy his birth certificate to find out who his mother is but, I've discovered that i can't find his birth record number.

Can any of you help with this?

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,
This is the only George Johnson on the 1881 census born in New Durham. If you are not prepared to accept this is your man, I fail to see how finding his birth certificate will tell you any more. This George should be registered born in Durham so if you look for a birth registered in Durham in the right year this one will come up and give you the parents as George & Susannah. All you will gain is the mother's maiden name. His father was a miner and he was born in New Durham. I think you can fairly safely say this is your man.

Jeremy

suedent
15-12-2007, 12:49 AM
To search for Durham certificates (and order them online):

http://www.durham.gov.uk/gro/newgro.nsf/search?open&C0396337151215122007$

By the way, this is the family in 1861

George Johnson Head Mar 48 Ag Lab Cumberland Ireby Cow
Susannah Johnson Wife Mar 42 Westmoreland Samdale
Robert Johnson Son 12 Scholar Westmorland Warcok
Margaret Johnson Dau 9 Scholar Westmorland Mount Pleasant
Mary Johnson Dau 8 Scholar Westmorland Galenows
Ann Johnson Dau 5 Scholar Durham Rillerby
Elizabeth Johnson Dau 3 Durham St Oswald
George Johnson Son 9 Mo Durham St Giles
RG9/3742 ED 13 Folio 21 Page 4 Sched 19
John Street, New Durham, Durham

New Durham was in Durham St Giles Civil Parish & Belmont Ecclesiastical Parish

paul_johnson
16-12-2007, 7:01 PM
Thank you Sue,

You've been very helpful. I'm going to add that information to my family tree now, and I think that I will order that birth certificate from the website you advise. They're always good to have, and they sometimes throw up some interesting surprises.

Many thanks,

Paul