PDA

View Full Version : can anyone make any sense of this please?

Spangle
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
My G G Grandfather died in 1903 of what appears to be on his death certificate "Acute Obstructive Jaundice (Blocks/Bloems?Glucks???) Haematosis, 2 days"

Am I right in thinking that the 2 days refers to the amount of time the poor man suffered his condition?

And moreover, can anyone shed light on the condition insofar as I can't make out the word I have put in brackets. It looks like Blocks or somesuch - all I can say is that it has the possessive apostrophe before the letter s.

I have a copy of the certificate on my Ancestry tree and can supply a link to it if I am allowed to.

Thank you - a very puzzled Miranda.

Mutley
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I have no idea about medical terms so if I am wrong please accept my apologies but I copied and pasted
"Acute Obstructive Jaundice"
into Google and quite a lot came up with references to:

Bile Ducts - possible ????

Mary Anne
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
COuld it be "Haematemesis"? that means coughing up blood. That might go with the liver/bile duct damage and the jaundice that he had. I would agree that the "obstructive jaundice" commentary is probably including the word "ducts" as the one you are havign trouble reading.. maybe the Dr. could have put what looks like an apostrophe, meaning it to be a comma, between the Jaundice condition and the coughing up blood condition?

Spangle
07-12-2007, 10:58 PM
It certainly is haematemesis, now I've had another look - but the undecipherable word certainly isn't ducts.

The cert is here (I do hope its ok to do this! If it isn't sorry and as soon as I am told off I'll remove it!).

Spangle
07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
It certainly is haematemesis, now I've had another look - but the undecipherable word certainly isn't ducts.

The cert is here (I do hope its ok to do this! If it isn't sorry and as soon as I am told off I'll remove it!).

Sorry, I have been told that I can't post links to a certain website. Sorry for any offence caused.

Miranda

Mutley
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Miranda,
Can you scan it or save it to your PC from An.....y and then pop it onto Photobucket or a web site and then you can link to that and we can all see it.

There are various threads that explain exactly what you have to do if you search on the forum for inserting photos or downloading pictures or photobucket.

jeeb
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi Spangle,
I think it says 'chronic'.

Jeremy

Spangle
07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Trying to add via manage attachments but it exceeds my quota - never mind! I think I give up for tonight lol and will try again in the morning. Thank you for all your help everyone.

Mary Anne
07-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Wouldn't think it would say "chronic" at the same time as it says "acute" and that duration is only 2 days.

What about a list of three things, as in #1 "Acute obstructive jaundice" #2 "Blocks [or whatever that is]" and #3 "Haematemesis"

jeeb
08-12-2007, 9:54 AM
Hi Mary Anne,
I saw the death certrificate when it was posted momentarily and it looked like Chronic to me. I know what you mean about chronic being opposite to acute but I felt that acute referred to the obstructive jaundice and chronic referred to the haematemesis. The word 'chronic started with a capital letter and I think it means chronic as in constant and severe bleeding for 2 days.

Jeremy

Mary Anne
09-12-2007, 3:03 PM
That would make sense then ifthe diagnoses are in fact a list...of course it's hard to know without actually seeing it...and even then may be difficult...;)