PDA

View Full Version : Looking for: CALLWAYs in Northamp

Mary Anne
05-12-2007, 9:02 PM
Hello, listers! New to the list, and so I thought I would introduce myself.

I have been doing genealogical research for a number of years, but retired in January, and am therefore hoping to have MUCH more time to do devote to it! I am 56, a biologist by training, and worked for many years in the environmental sector. I love to garden, canoe-camp, and paint with pastels, as well as doing genelogical research and reading social history that helps me put my genealogical discoveries into context. I am married, with no children, and live in Canada's (cold) Capital City, Ottawa, with my DH (*Dear husband*) who has ZERO interest in genealogy, and our Terrier, Geordie.

The names I am researching, with locations and timeframes, include the following:

SHARPE, ALEXANDER, BROWN, ELLIOT in Scotland <1826;
CALLAWAY, PITTAM in Warwickshire & Northamptonshire <1843;
HIRAM in England < 1824;
PAGE, THWAITES in England <1851;
WILSON in Westmeath, Ireland <1832;
TWEEDY in Wexford, Ireland <1832;
McMILLAN in Ireland <1861;
BAILEY in Ireland <1818;
MACKENZIE of Gairloch and Lochend in Scotland <1836.

Mary Anne

Mary Anne
05-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Pam, I am finding the forum very useful, thanks. Hope to come again soon when I have some intelligent (or is that intelligible?) questions!

Mary Anne

Paulbenn
02-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Hello Mary Anne

I have a Caroline Ellen Pittam in my family tree who was born 1880 and married a Bennett. Any use to you ?

janbooth
03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Could this be a couple of your ancestors from Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1837:

24 March 1831 at Blakesley Joseph CALLOWAY of Weedon Beck and Elizabeth PITTAM of the parish

Three female marriages with a Weedon Bec connection on the same Index:

7 March 1815 at Weedon Bec John BARGE, bachelor & Phebe CALLOWAY, spinster, both of the parish, by licence
30 January 1817 at Weedon Bec Joseph DAVIS of Harpole, widower & Eleanor CALLOWAY of the parish, spinster
28 January 1830 at Weedon Bec David MACE of Leamington Priors, Warwks, bachelor & Elizabeth CALLOWAY of the parish, spinster

There is also a marriage on 3 February 1783 at Daventry of a Thomas CALLOWAY & Elizabeth BATES, both of the parish, by banns

Janet

Mary Anne
03-01-2013, 6:31 PM
Paulbenn

Hello!

I haven't ever run across a Caroline Ellen Pittam, but then I haven't really been looking at PITTAMs that remained in the UK.

The PITTAMs I have as siblings of Elizabeth who lived into adulthood are: Ann (b. ~1801, m. John Spiers COCKERILL), John (b. ~1803, m. Frances ?, d. ~1854), Mary Ann (b. ~1808), and Joseph (b. ~1813). This is all a lot earlier than your Caroline.

Thanks for the thought.

Mary Anne

Mary Anne
03-01-2013, 7:37 PM
janbooth

Thank you for these -- I did have all of them, except the Thomas CALLOWAY and Elizabeth BATES and I don't know that they are related.

I am still trying to work out who were the parents of the most senior CALLAWAY I have found so far - he was Joshua CALLAWAY. He married Mary WHITE in Birmingham 1 Dec. 1795. Phoebe, Eleanor and Elizabeth are definitely their children; they also had a Mary Ann who married a Thomas LEPPARD about 1814 but I haven't found that marriage yet.

Trouble with old Joshua is, when he was married, he gave his residence as Birmingham (St. Martin's), then he seems to have been moving eastward to Northamptonshire, where he worked on the military Depot -- he wasn't originally from Daventry/Northampton/Weedon area. Following the children's baptisms, you can see his eastward trail:

- Pheobe, the firstborn (I think) - haven't found her baptism;
- Mary Ann was baptised 1797 in Lapworth;
- Eleanor was baptised in Lapworth, but residence was indicated to be Nuthurst, Warwickshire (had Joshua and Mary lived in Nuthurst when they were married in 1795?);
- Joshua was baptised in 1803 in Rugby;
- Elizabeth - haven't found her baptism;
Joseph was baptised in 1807 in Weedon Bec, Northants

So, the search continues ...

Thank you all :seeya:

Mary Anne