PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Birth Certificate

RayWythe
05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I am trying to trace details of my grandfather Francis George Wythe. I have found details of his marriage to Thirza Mary Butler in March 1915. They lived in Basingstoke Hampshire. I can find no other trace of his birth or addresses in any of the census records. I do know that he left home after a disagreement with his step mother and lied about his age to enlist in the army, (Royal Hampshire Regiment). I remember him dying in 1953 when i was 8 years old and have visited his grave in Basingstoke cemetary in Worting Rd when I lived there(i now live in Australia----been here since 1974)

Regards Ray Wythe

suedent
05-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Have you got his father's name. It's possible that he was registered as George rather than Francis. Have you done a census search for his father?

I have a John William who was married and died as William/William John and and a Elisha George Henry who married as George Elisha Henry.

RayWythe
05-12-2007, 2:51 AM
I do not have either parents name. My father is now in his eighties and cannot remember much about his father. He only remembers that he was calles Frank and that he had two birthdays; his "official one" and his "Army one"

suedent
05-12-2007, 11:21 AM
You say you have details of the marriage, does that mean you have the certificate? If so that may well have his father's name. If you don't have the certificate then that should be your next step in order to get the name.

Marriages Mar 1915 Butler Thirsa M/Wythe Francis G Basingstoke 2c 408

RayWythe
03-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Sue
I had two attempts at getting the marriage cetificate, the first one was a non arrival and have now recieved a copy after a six week wait for delivery.

The certificate provided the following:
Francis George Wythe was 36 years when Married, (ten years older than i expected).
He was in the 3rd hants Regiment located at Port Gomer Gosport. From what I can find this was the reserves which makes sense being that he was 39 in 1915. He apparently had already been demobbed from regular army.
His father was Walter Wythe (Deceased) a Bricklayer.

After much searching I have found the following:
1/ A Christening record for Francis George Wyethe (note surname spelling) on FamilySearch International naming the parents as Walter Wyethe and Rebecca;
Batch No: 1013735

2/ A Birth Record on FreeBMD for Francis Wyethe borh 2nd Qtr 1878 in Basingstoke Rd Vol 2c Page 191

3/ 1881 Census Household record at Pit Lands, Tadley Hants
Record No RG11; Piece/Folio 1266/138 Naming (Note surname Spelling)
Walter Wyeth - Aged 37
Rebecca Wyeth - Aged 27
Frances Wyeth - Aged 3 (Note First name spelling)
Lucy Wythe - Aged 8Mths

4/ A Christening Record on FamilySearch international for Walter Wyeth At Wootton St Lawrence on 25 Jun 1843 naming parents as James Wyeth and Lucy. Batch No J136771

5/ A Birth Record on FreeDMD for Walter Wyeth in 1843 Vol 7 page 60

Thats all I have found so far . I am unable to find any reference to the Wyeth family in Tadley or anywhere else in the 1891 or 1901 Cesus indexes. Nor can I find any Death records for any of the family.
Regards
Ray

suedent
03-01-2008, 1:13 PM
I must admit I've had a look & haven't had much luck either

I did find this:
Frank Wyeth Inmate 14 Pauper Scholar Millbrook Southampton
South Stoneham Union Workhouse, Westend, Hampshire
RG12/926 Folio 125 Page 6

Birth Lucy Wythe Q3 1880 Kingsclere 2c 228
Death Lucy Wyeth Q3 1881 Age 1 Kingsclere 2c 129

By the way did you realise that there were two Walters born c.1844 in Wootton?
The other is married to Fanny and also had a son called Frank (born about 1872 in Wootton). In 1881 they are living in Basingstoke.

I can find Walter & Fanny in 1891 but no sign of your Walter I'm afraid.

janbooth
03-01-2008, 2:42 PM
Ray,

There is a death registration of a Walter WYETH in December qtr 1887 at Kingsclerc registration district, vol 2c, page 143, aged 50 - any good??

Janet

RayWythe
10-01-2008, 3:35 AM
Thanks Sue--- I found the other Walter Wyeth living in Basingstoke also, but am sure that is not the correct family.
I also searched for other near neighbors of Walter & Rebecca Wyeth who lived in Pit Lands Tadley in 1881. I could not find any of them either in 1891 or 1901 indexes. Seems very odd??

RayWythe
10-01-2008, 3:39 AM
Ray,

There is a death registration of a Walter WYETH in December qtr 1887 at Kingsclerc registration district, vol 2c, page 143, aged 50 - any good??

Janet
Thanks Janet but he would have been only about 43 in 1887 and from what I can find out from other family members he re-married after his first wife Rebecca died about 1900.

Rosebud1
10-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Ray, just wondering about your last name ,could over the years your last name could be spelled Wyatt , as it is very close , if so that is my maiden name and I have a lot of information ,put a thread in and let me know ,my line runs with Wyatt/ Dabney / Morehead / Hougham /Hill / and Hawkes / just a few of the maiden names I have on my ancestor's side ......just wondering .....Rosebud1