PDA

View Full Version : Forsters not Fosters and Herons

hyatt
04-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi
After several fruitless years searching for my FOSTER relatives in Durham, FRANK FOSTER and MARGARET HERON.....I noticed that one of the certificates I had recently purchased had FORSTER as the name. I had discounted that years ago as the family had been sure it was FOSTER as several children had been named FOSTER as middle names.....
eg. FRANK FOSTER DICKMAN........
So I again went searching for them and found.
FRANCIS FORSTER married MARGARET HERON
31 march 1838
KELLOE, DURHAM.
I have found 7 children including my rellie JANE FORSTER born 1843.

I have the family on the 1841 census and 1851 but cannot find them on the 1861 or beyond.
JANE FORSTER married a WILLIAM DIXON or DICKSON from HAsswell, Durham
they had a child ELIZABETH abt 1862-3 .
I cannot find their marriage reg or the births or christenings of any children .
Isabella, Robert, Mary, Frank...?

Jane and William migrated to Australia date unknown. 1860's -1870's.
I cannot find parents of William Dixon or of Francis Forster and Margaret Heron even though their appears to be many Herons and Forsters.
I would appreciate any help in adding to the info on these Durhamites....
( Any one any idea how FOSTER could become FORSTER.....hmmmmmmmmmm)
another good lesson learnt the hard way of not presuming the spelling of surnames is written in stone.....or is it just that my rellies couldnt spell and spoke with reeely fick akcents....)

suedent
05-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I can't really help with the family but the following website might help with understanding the Foster/Forster confusion.

It gives recorded examples of regional accents

http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/search/advanced.cfm?objectPage=type

If you select "Recorded Speech" as the object type and "Durham" as a keyword you'll get a selection of accents from different parts of Durham.

birdlip
05-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi there,

there are a lot of us researching the Forster/Foster surname, several of my family have Forster or Foster as a middle name too. Type Forster into the search box,and you'll see a lot of threads, many of them are in Northumberland and Durham. Perhaps you'll find someone researching your line.

regards birdlip

birdlip
06-12-2007, 6:05 AM
freebmd marriages;

Mar 1865
Jane Forster Durham 10a 382

spouse names William Dixon or Henry Walker

hyatt
17-12-2007, 9:32 AM
Thank you very much for that I looked on ancestry and couldnt find it ..must have missed it ..too busy looking at the forest..missing the trees....it appears to be the right marriage although their daughter jane was supposedly born abt 1861 according to the death certificates....hmmmmmmmmmm

birdlip
18-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Ah well, whoever registered the death possibly just guessed at her age? If she WAS born before the marriage, she'd have been registered under her mothers maiden name of course...

regards birdlip

birdlip
20-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi again,

as always, Genuki is a great source of information. I looked up Durham towns and villages and there's quite a bit of information on Haswell and Kelloe, both of which are in the Easington district, which is a coal mining area. Amongst other interesting snippets, there's an index of names of miners killed in a big pit accident at Haswell in 1844, with several Dixons amongst them. It gives names, ages and relationships. You've probably already found this.

Also worth looking at is the Durhamrecordsonline link that Genuki gives. Its a pay per view site, but I typed in Parish records for Wm and Jane Dixon 1865 +/- 5yrs, and it came up with a baptism for a Mary Dixon 1867 at Heugh Hall. Heugh Hall Colliery, it turns out, was at Quarrington Hill, less than a mile from Kelloe, where you say Jane was from. You would have to pay to get the full record, but it looks quite possible she's one of yours.

regards birdlip

hyatt
20-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi
Thank you for that info, that ois a possibility as they had a daughter named Mary, according to William Dixons death reg..Unfortunately I cannot find any immigration details for the family ..so I am unsure of when most of their children were born (they may have died young)they must have migrated in the late 60's............I didnt have those details about the mine so I will check into that ..Again thank you for your help

birdlip
20-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm pleased the mine info was helpful.

I saw you'd mentioned a Mary, thats why I thought she could be yours. I think this is probably the same birth on IGI Family Search;

Mary Dixon 15 Sep 1867 Kelloe, Durham. Parents William Dixon and Jane

Do you know which port they landed at? Which area did they settle in? I've had a quick look on some of the shipping lists and can't see them. If they WERE still in England in 1867 though, they could have emigrated later than you first thought.

hyatt
20-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I just rechecked the death certificates of both William Dixon, Jane Dixon nee Forster and their daughter Elizabeth Dickman Sullivan nee Dixon..
What a mess:
William died 1913 ..35 years in Victoria (1878 arrival)
Mary deceased
Isabella 46
Robert 43
Frank 41
Eliz 40
Bertha 37
so by that ALL were born in Durham. informant was his son
Janes death cert:
she died 1921...20 years in Victoria (1900 arrival)
Mary deceased
Eliz 54
Robert 51
Frank 47
bertha 46...informant was not family but an agent??? Barnes
Elizabeth Dickman nee Dixon
died 1938
55 years in Vic (1883 arrival)
she married in Victoria in 1891 so her mothers date of arrival doesnt fit.....)
same agent as informant.

what a headache

birdlip
20-12-2007, 1:13 PM
Ah! Well thats interesting. So, looking at the 1913 certificate, the approximate years of birth for the children are;

Mary (1867 if the Kelloe entry is her. She was probably the oldest anyway, because of her position on the list.)
Isabella 1867
Robert 1870
Frank 1872
Elizabeth 1873
Bertha 1876

Do you think the ages on the 1921 certificate are less likely to be accurate if the information doesn't come from a family member? Robert and Bertha are about the same, but Elizabeth works out to've been b in 1867 and Frank in 1876, and Isabella is left out altogether.

Its possible, I suppose that the dates of arrival are accurate? There would be plenty of examples of the husband arriving first, then sending for his family later. Do you know if Jane was actually present at Elizabeths marriage in 1891? Maybe she stayed behind in England for a specific reason, caring for elderly parents perhaps?

birdlip
20-12-2007, 1:54 PM
Well, you're not going to believe this, but I've found them all, still in Durham in 1881!

RG11; 4918; 82; P10
6, Vaughan St, Shildon, Durham

William Dixon head m 42 b Colliery Row, Durham occ; Colliery D Fireman?
Jane Dixon wife m 38 b Sherburn Hill, Durham
Isabella Dixon dau 17 b Haughall, Durham
Elizabeth Dixon dau 15 b Shincliffe, Durham
Robert Dixon son 10 b Haughall, Durham, scholar
Frank Dixon son 7 b Old Shildon, Durham, scholar
Bertha Dixon dau 2m b Old Shildon, Durham

Looks like Elizabeth's birth date was more accurate on the 1921 certificate after all. Bertha's was way out on both! Note that Isabella and Robert were born at 'Haughall', which I think is Heugh Hall, where Mary was born.

p.s. No, I just looked it up and its on the southern outskirts of Durham, next to Shincliffe. Shildon is south of Bishop Auckland. So they moved around a bit..all within a few miles though.

hyatt
20-12-2007, 6:55 PM
Hi ,
you are right when I saw your post I was stunned...I did not think they were still in Durham at that late date....I thought I had done a search of them ..but I did not find them, you have been fantastic in your detective work.....Iam so thrilled to find this I can now look in a much narrower time frame for their migration details.......and try the other census years to see if I can locate them..........

birdlip
22-12-2007, 4:43 AM
Hi Hyatt,

I was suprised myself! I thought I'd just have a quick look for Jane and the children. ...and, yes, that was my first thought too, now you can look for them emigrating between 1881 and 1891, when Elizabeth married.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you get on.

Merry Christmas, birdlip

hyatt
09-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Just adding the latest update on the Dixon Forster saga
Marriage certificate arrived from GRO............excellent timing considering it was ordered over the holiday period..
marriage details:
21 jan 1865
William Dixon 26 years coal miner Father Robert Dixon coal miner
Jane Forster 22 years.................Father Francis Forster Deceased coal miner
both from Heugh Hall Quarrington
witnesses Ann Milburn and John Forster.

so now the hunt is on for this robert Dixon and family.sadly no mothers names....

birdlip
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Hyatt,

good, I'm glad its the right one, and yes, it was quick! Its interesting to see Jane follows the traditional naming patterns by naming her two sons after their grandfathers.

You say Jane and William were "both from Heugh Hall, Quarrington", but this was just their address at the time of the marriage wasn't it? It was common for people to marry in the brides parish, and of course you already know that William was born at Haswell. He says Colliery Row on the 1881 census, and there is this on IGI Family Search;

William Dixon 1837
Collery (sic) Row, New Washington, Durham
Parents, Robert Dixon and Mary OYSTON

Its a patron submission, without a proper date or batch number, but tantalising. It may be the right entry, but just incomplete. You're lucky to get the actual ages of the bride and groom on the certificate, often they just say 'full', i.e. over 21. Assuming the ages are accurate (!!), Williams age of 26 in Jan 1865, would mean his birth date would either be very early 1839, or 1838, if my maths is right. On freebmd though, there are several William Dixon's born around 1838-9 in Durham. Might be easier to look at the parish records.

Janes d.o.b. would work out to be 1842-3, which ties in with this on IGI;

Jane Forrester
birth; Sherburn Hill
christening; 07 Aug 1842 Shadforth, Durham
parents; Francis Forrester and Margaret

Forrester is another common variation of Forster/ Foster. There are four Jane Forster's on freebmd births between 1842-3 in Durham, though the one in Jun qu 1842, Easington 24 123 looks the most likely. You already have details of her parents anyway though, don't you. I suppose the witness John Forster is likely to be an uncle or older brother standing in for her deceased father.

regards birdlip

birdlip
10-01-2008, 1:32 PM
Hi again,

I'm just trying to get my head around Williams birth place. Your original post says Haswell, which is between Sherburn Hill/ Quarrington area and Easington...no problem. Did that come from an earlier census? Then in 1881 he says he was born in Colliery Row, and on durhamrecordsonline, a Robert Dixon and Mary had the following births recorded, in 'Collier Row, district of Houghton Le Spring';

Elizabeth 1825
Thomasine 1827
Hannah 1830
Margaret 1832
Robert 1834
William 1836

Its possible William b 1836 is the William on IGI, parents Robert Dixon and Mary Oyston. Haswell and Colliery Row are several miles apart though, and they can't both be right....hmmm, not sure what to make of it really. What do you think?

regards birdlip

Gordon S
02-03-2008, 8:43 PM
Hi
I'm really looking for Richardson's in Durham but came across (with help) a 'niece who has the name Foster and obviously has a mother who is a Richardson of my line. Any connections?
Gordon Stevenson

Name: Spence Richardson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Agnes
Where born: Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: South Shields
Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael and All Angels
County/Island: Durham
Registration district: South Shields
Sub-registration district: South Shields
ED, institution, or vessel: 40
Household schedule number: 117
Household Members: Name, Age
Margaret Jane Foster, 6 Niece
John Jameson, 47 Boarder
Agnes Nicholson, 3
Barbara Nicholson, 5
Isaac Nicholson, 7
Martha Nicholson, 34 Daughter
William Nicholson, 9
Agnes Richardson, 62
Spence Richardson, 64

Angelaj
02-03-2008, 8:52 PM
Hi,
This doesn't really help you but I thought I'd throw in my bit. My other half's lot are Clennells from Co. Durham and surrounding areas. We've come across a series of Foster Clennells (b. 1840s-1870s) but can't account for the name as yet. If you find a Foster/Clennell connection, I'd love to hear about it.
Angelaj

Gordon S
03-03-2008, 2:22 AM
Angela
Will keep my eyes open and your note on file
Gordon

hyatt
04-03-2008, 3:28 PM
Hi again,

I'm just trying to get my head around Williams birth place. Your original post says Haswell, which is between Sherburn Hill/ Quarrington area and Easington...no problem. Did that come from an earlier census? Then in 1881 he says he was born in Colliery Row, and on durhamrecordsonline, a Robert Dixon and Mary had the following births recorded, in 'Collier Row, district of Houghton Le Spring';

Elizabeth 1825
Thomasine 1827
Hannah 1830
Margaret 1832
Robert 1834
William 1836

Its possible William b 1836 is the William on IGI, parents Robert Dixon and Mary Oyston. Haswell and Colliery Row are several miles apart though, and they can't both be right....hmmm, not sure what to make of it really. What do you think?

regards birdlip

Hi Birdlip I ddnt see your reply as my computer died earlier this year, and I only noticed today after the more recent comments regarding forsters
It does seem that Dixon and Forster are the Smith and jones of Durham...so many similar families.....
It is a possibility concerning my William Dixons parents..
in 1851 census
Where born:Colliery Row, Durham, England
Civil Parish:Haswell

In 1861 census
Where born:Collie Row, Durham, England
Civil Parish:Quarrington

In 1871 census
Where born: Houghton, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Quarrington

In 1881 census
Where born: Colliery Row, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Shildon
I cant find him in 1891 only Jane his wife and 2 children Bertha and Francis...all the others are missing

His death cert from 1913

11: Where born and how long in the Australian States, stating which: Haswell Durham England 35 years in Victoria
If Deceased was Married
12: (1)Where: Durham England
and (2)what age: 23 years
and (3) to Whom: Jane Foster

and Jane's death cert in 1921
11: Where born and how long in the Australian States, stating which: England, 20 years in Victoria
If Deceased was Married
12: (1)Where: Durham, England
and (2)what age: 22
and (3) to Whom: William Dixon, D(eceased)

I still have not been able to locate any migration records .

I hope to send for Janes's parents marriage cert soon but that will not help with the Dixon's

This is the same family I believe in 1841.where did you get the records from concerning Robert Dixons family births
1841 England Census
Name:Robert Dixon
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1794
Where born:Durham, England
Civil Parish:Easington
Hundred:Easington (South Division)
County/Island:Durham
Street address:
Registration district:Easington
Sub-registration district:Easington
Neighbors:View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Elizabeth Dixon 16
Hannah Dixon 11
John Dixon 1
Margaret Dixon 9
Mary Dixon 45
Mary Dixon 19
Robert Dixon 47
Robert Dixon 7
Thomanson Dixon
14 Thomas Dixon
21 William Dixon 4

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 313; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Easington; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 20; Page: 35; Line: 6

1851 England Census
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1794
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Mary
Where born:Washington, Durham, England
Civil Parish:Haswell
Street address:
Condition as to marriage:
Disability: View Image
Registration district:Easington
Sub-registration district:Easington
ED, institution, or vessel:11c
Household schedule number:40
Household Members:
Name AgeHannah Dixon 20
John Dixon 12
Margaret Dixon 18
Mary Dixon 55
Robert Dixon 57
Robert Dixon 16
William Dixon 14

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2392; Folio: 426; Page: 13
1861 England Census
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1795
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Mary
Where born:New York
Civil Parish:Quarrington
Street address:
Condition as to marriage: View Image
Registration district:Durham
Sub-registration district:St Nicholas
ED, institution, or vessel:20
Household schedule number:66
Mary Dixon 64
Robert Dixon 66
Wm Dixon 23
Rob Halliday 9
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3743; Folio: 51; Page: 13

So far that is all I have on the families, i really appreciate your help in this as 2 heads are always far better than one..and I think I have been missing the trees for all the forest (or all the forsters)

hyatt
04-03-2008, 4:28 PM
Hi Hyatt,

good, I'm glad its the right one, and yes, it was quick! Its interesting to see Jane follows the traditional naming patterns by naming her two sons after their grandfathers.

You say Jane and William were "both from Heugh Hall, Quarrington", but this was just their address at the time of the marriage wasn't it? It was common for people to marry in the brides parish, and of course you already know that William was born at Haswell. He says Colliery Row on the 1881 census, and there is this on IGI Family Search;

William Dixon 1837
Collery (sic) Row, New Washington, Durham
Parents, Robert Dixon and Mary OYSTON

Its a patron submission, without a proper date or batch number, but tantalising. It may be the right entry, but just incomplete. You're lucky to get the actual ages of the bride and groom on the certificate, often they just say 'full', i.e. over 21. Assuming the ages are accurate (!!), Williams age of 26 in Jan 1865, would mean his birth date would either be very early 1839, or 1838, if my maths is right. On freebmd though, there are several William Dixon's born around 1838-9 in Durham. Might be easier to look at the parish records.

Janes d.o.b. would work out to be 1842-3, which ties in with this on IGI;

Jane Forrester
birth; Sherburn Hill
christening; 07 Aug 1842 Shadforth, Durham
parents; Francis Forrester and Margaret

Forrester is another common variation of Forster/ Foster. There are four Jane Forster's on freebmd births between 1842-3 in Durham, though the one in Jun qu 1842, Easington 24 123 looks the most likely. You already have details of her parents anyway though, don't you. I suppose the witness John Forster is likely to be an uncle or older brother standing in for her deceased father.

regards birdlip

I had 2 Janes that were possibles

1861 England Census
Name: Jane Forster
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Relation: Servant
Where born: Sherborne Hill, Durham, England
Street address:
Registration district: Durham
Sub-registration district: St Nicholas
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 68
Leonard Bell 52
Thos Bell 24
Jane Forster 19
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3743; Folio: 51; Page: 14

1881 England Census
Name: Jane Dixon
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William
Where born: Sherburn Hill, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Shildon
Street address: 6 Vaughan St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Registration district: Auckland
Sub-registration district: Bishop Auckland
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Bertha Dixon
Elizabeth Dixon 15
Frank Dixon 7
Isabella Dixon 17
Jane Dixon 38
Robert Dixon 10
William Dixon 42
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4918; Folio: 82; Page: 10;

Jane Foster (Dixon) the second

1861 England Census
Name: Jane Dixon
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William
Where born: Haswell, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Haswell
Town: Haswell
Street address:
Registration district: Easington
Sub-registration district: Easington
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 440
James Dixon 2
Jane Dixon 21
Thomas Dixon 1
William Dixon 27
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3747; Folio: 12; Page: 20

The first jane ties in with the record you found of birth in Sherbourne..
I have discounted the second as the dates of marriage dont fit nor the childrens names are on the later census for "my" jane.
Also the submission for William fits the birth place on the census for the Robert Dixon I have.
Thank you so much birdlip your help is much appreciated

valerie coleman
20-03-2008, 8:35 PM
Hi - I too am researching Forster/Foster from Durham area. Have quite a few from that area in my tree. Perhaps we can help each other. When the census was taken you have to take account of people mispronouncing surnames and the census taker writing down what they heard (spelling wasn't alway spot on). For instance my family name is Sloan but down the line it's been Sloan/Slone/Sloane/Slowan/Slown - see what I mean! If the census taker wasn't hearing correctly and asked how it was spelled they probably didn't know so made up what they thought it should be.

hyatt
21-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi I have not a lot on the Forsters as yet as I have just recently found the connection between Forsters and Fosters....this is about all I have on my Forster connection as yet, maybe they tie in somewhere with your Forsters..
poss
IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5
British Isles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
FRANCIS FORSTER Pedigree
Male
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
Event(s):
Birth: 04 DEC 1801

Christening: 14 FEB 1802 Chester Le Street, Durham, England

------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Parents:
Father: FRANCIS FORSTER Family
Mother: MARY SWALE
Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the bir th or christening date.
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Typ

P000581 1582 - 1812 0091090 Film 6904988 Film
Sheet: 00

he was a coal miner
South Hutton Township of Haswell
1841 England Census
Name: Francis Forster
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Civil Parish: Easington
Hundred: Easington (South Division)
Street address:
Registration district: Easington
Sub-registration district: Easington
Francis Forster 35
Francis Forster 1
Margaret Forster 30
Thomas Forster 3
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 313; Book: 3; Civil Parish: Easington; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 22; Page: 39; Lin e: 1

1851 England Census
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1800
Spouse's Name: Margaret
Where born: Kelloe, Durham, England
Street address:
Condition as to marriage:
Disability: View Image
Registration district: Durham(Street Indexed)
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Household schedule number: 203
Francis Forster 51
Francis Forster 10
Jane Forster 8
John Forster 5
Margaret Forster 56
Margaret Forster 1 Mo
Mary Forster 14
Robert W Forster 4
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2391; Folio: 604; Page: 50

1861 England Census
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1818
Spouse's Name: Margret
Where born: Waldridge, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Witton Gilbert
Street address:
Registration district: Chester Le Street
Sub-registration district: Chester le Street
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 219
Francis Forster 43
Francis Forster 12
Joseph Forster 14
Margret Forster 37
Mathew J Forster 6 Mo
William Forster 16
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3760; Folio: 80; Page: 50

poss relative?????
1841 England Census
Name: Wm Forster
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Where born: Durham, England
Civil Parish: Kelloe
Hundred: Easington (South Division)
Street address:
Registration district: Durham and Lanchester
Ann Forster 45
Francis Forster 20
Jacob Forster 5
James Forster 15
John Forster 10
Thos Forster 3
Wm Forster 45
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 313; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Kelloe; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 25; Folio: 8; Page: 9; Line: 2

valerie coleman
21-03-2008, 3:28 PM
sorry - they don't ring any bells. I've plenty of Williams, Margarets, Johns etc all from Byers Green/Kelloe/Easington areas but none that match yours.

BorderReiver
21-03-2008, 7:18 PM
Hi
After several fruitless years searching for my FOSTER relatives in Durham, FRANK FOSTER and MARGARET HERON.....I noticed that one of the certificates I had recently purchased had FORSTER as the name. I had discounted that years ago as the family had been sure it was FOSTER as several children had been named FOSTER as middle names.....
eg. FRANK FOSTER DICKMAN........
So I again went searching for them and found.
FRANCIS FORSTER married MARGARET HERON
31 march 1838
KELLOE, DURHAM.
I have found 7 children including my rellie JANE FORSTER born 1843.

I have the family on the 1841 census and 1851 but cannot find them on the 1861 or beyond.
JANE FORSTER married a WILLIAM DIXON or DICKSON from HAsswell, Durham
they had a child ELIZABETH abt 1862-3 .
I cannot find their marriage reg or the births or christenings of any children .
Isabella, Robert, Mary, Frank...?

Jane and William migrated to Australia date unknown. 1860's -1870's.
I cannot find parents of William Dixon or of Francis Forster and Margaret Heron even though their appears to be many Herons and Forsters.
I would appreciate any help in adding to the info on these Durhamites....
( Any one any idea how FOSTER could become FORSTER.....hmmmmmmmmmm)
another good lesson learnt the hard way of not presuming the spelling of surnames is written in stone.....or is it just that my rellies couldnt spell and spoke with reeely fick akcents....)

Forster and Heron are good old Border Reiver surnames, as is mine, Salkeld.
It is likely that coming, as you do, from the North Country that the original name was FORSTER.

There was no standard way of spelling up until the 18th century, I have seen my own name spelt differently in the same Parish register.

jim foster
08-07-2008, 8:49 PM
did not find my dad til 1965 always known him as bill foster b not known
l was b 1944 1/7/1944 in Middlesbrough

jim foster
16-07-2008, 9:17 AM
Hi there,

there are a lot of us researching the Forster/Foster surname, several of my family have Forster or Foster as a middle name too. Type Forster into the search box,and you'll see a lot of threads, many of them are in Northumberland and Durham. Perhaps you'll find someone researching your line.

regards birdlip
donot known if this any help
my father was thomas william foster b unknown
d middlesbrough
l am james foster
my moter maiden name was charlton

Geoffers
16-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Some census returns have been kindly provided to help with this thread. The details included GSU references which are copyright. I have therefore edited these messages to remove the copyright references. With census returns, the requirement is to include the reference provided by The National Archives (that's the series of letters and numbers beginning HO107, RG9, RG10, RG11, RG12, RG13).