PDA

View Full Version : Witney marriage of William SMITH

Sunpat
03-12-2007, 4:22 PM
Can someone advise on this?

I think this couple may be the parents of my ggrandmother.
In FreeBMD a marriage, in the March Quarter of 1870, of;
Elizabeth DAY Witney 3a 761
to
William SMITH Witney 3a 761

Ggrandmother was Kate Ellen Smith (FreeBMD birth reg. Witney 1876 December Quarter 3a 710)
And from the Oxfordshire FHS transcript - born on 10th Dec 1876 (baptised at Hailey) a Kate Ellen Smith whose parents were a William and Elizabeth Smith - William was a labourer from Crawley.

I know nothing about the family beyond this and appreciate any suggestions about where to search next.
Sunpat

Trish
03-12-2007, 4:58 PM

to

Ggrandmother was Kate Ellen Smith (FreeBMD birth reg. Witney 1876 December Quarter 3a 710)
And from the Oxfordshire FHS transcript - born on 10th Dec 1876 (baptised at Hailey) a Kate Ellen Smith whose parents were a William and Elizabeth Smith - William was a labourer from Crawley.

I know nothing about the family beyond this and appreciate any suggestions about where to search next.
SunpatSunpat, have you tried looking for them in the censuses? As you can imagine, there are lots of William Smiths married to an Elizabeth...

The 1881 census has a William and Elizabeth Smith, 43 and 41, respectively, living in Crawley. William is a road contractor, born in Crawley. Elizabeth is a grocer. But no Kate Ellen in the household. [Reference: RG11/1515 Folio 23 Page 4]

There is also an Elizabeth Smith, widow, 46, a " Feeder at Blankett Mill", living in Crawley, with 8 children including a four-year-old Kate in the household. However, this Kate is the youngest child. The oldest is 20. [Reference: RG11/1515 Folio 25 Page 8]

So far... not much help, I'm afraid.

Trish

Peter Goodey
03-12-2007, 5:04 PM
I would advise getting Kate Ellen Smith's birth certificate before searching for her parents.

Sunpat
04-12-2007, 1:11 PM
Thank you, Trish and Peter.

"There is also an Elizabeth Smith, widow, 46, a " Feeder at Blankett Mill", living in Crawley, with 8 children including a four-year-old Kate in the household. However, this Kate is the youngest child. The oldest is 20. [Reference: RG11/1515 Folio 25 Page 8]"
This Kate looks promising - the age fits, I think. More searching required.:)

"I would advise getting Kate Ellen Smith's birth certificate before searching for her parents."
Peter - I would like to do so. Do you have any advice on how to go about this?
I have Kate in 1901, married to James Pickett, with 2 children and living in Charlbury.
I know she had several more children, the last being born in 1918. Would her death certificate give the names of her parents?
Many thanks.
Sunpat

Peter Goodey
04-12-2007, 2:04 PM
Do you have any advice on how to go about this?

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Please shout if there's anything you don't understand.

Geoffers
04-12-2007, 2:46 PM

mmmmmm - I think I'd go with Peter's suggestion of a birth certificate for Kate first off - did you notice that there is also an Ellen Smith whose birth was registered in the same quarter in Witney? Did Kate have a twin who died?

If the 1881 census entry given is correct, the above marriage may still be valid (William may have married twice, each time to an Elizabeth?) - provided the couple do not appear in an earlier census return. Unfortunately, it seems like they do appear together in 1861:

RG9/906 f24 p3 sch 13
Crawley
William SMITH, hd, mar, 37, ag.lab, bn Curbridge
Elizabeth SMITH, wf, mar, 26, bn Hailey
William SMITH, son, 2, bn Hailey
Edward SMITH, son, 6mth, bn Crawley

That being the case there are two 1856 marriages which may then be your William - but - you do need a birth certificate of one of their children to find out which is correct.

Sunpat
05-12-2007, 4:18 PM
Thank you, Peter and Geoffers. You've given me a great deal to think about.
Am heading to warmer climes tomorrow, busy packing and organising supplies for my menfolk tonight - they're staying put in very wet Paisley!
I'll carry on with my Kate Ellen information hunting when I return:)
Sunpat

Geoffers
05-12-2007, 5:49 PM
Am heading to warmer climes tomorrow

Witney?? (It isn't that warm there)

Sunpat
05-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Witney?? (It isn't that warm there)

I'm off to Lanzarote - warmer than Witney, drier than Paisley, I do hope:D
Sunpat