PDA

View Full Version : HART Family History from Milton Ernest, England

tdhart
02-12-2007, 9:42 PM
Hello, I am fairly new at starting my family history tree. I have originated my ancestors from Milton Ernest, England (Bedfordshire). A William L Hart, b. 9/13/1747 in Oakley, England and came over from England on a ship named Diamond around 1774. I was wanting to get information from his lineage back. Can anyone help me on this matter?

davidcarca
03-12-2007, 7:03 AM
I see there are a number of trees on Rootsweb for this family. I never trust other people's trees!

What evidence is there that the William Hart who went to Maryland in 1774 was the William Hart baptised in Oakley in 1747 other than the age is right? The IGI (see below) has 107 baptisms, some of which may be duplicated entries, for William Hart in England in 1747 +/- 2, and bear in mind that the IGI is far from a complete coverage.

Assuming that this is the right William Hart (and I'm far from convinced from what I've seen on the internet that it's any more than a guess) virtually all of Bedfordshire baptisms and marriages pre 1812 have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org, so this is the index to consult first

A William Hart married Mary Evins at Oakley on 23 Oct 1746 according to member submissions on the IGI. In the absence of an extracted entry I would take this with a pinch of salt until I'd actually checked the parish register. You say you've established that your ancestors came from Milton Ernest - how have you confirmed this? If you're extremely lucky the entry may say William Hart of Milton Ernest, but before 1754 the entries are rarely this helpful. So your next hurdle is to establish that William who allegedly married in Oakley was from Milton Ernest. The two villages are adjacent so it's very likely, in the absence of a baptism of a William in Oakley at the right time.

There were two Williams baptised in Milton Ernest - one in 1721 and another in 1727, from different parents (both sets of parents had each produced an earlier William, both of whom had died). Either could have married in 1746 - I can't see a burial in Milton Ernest of either of these prior to 1746. I'm not sure that anyone can state with any confidence which one married Mary Evins, although as she was baptised in 1722 the older William must be the favourite.

David

tdhart
03-12-2007, 9:49 PM
David, thanks for the information. I am more confused now than ever, but I appreciate your response. I guess with no way to get any more definite information I will just stick to more current history.

Thanks

tdhart
30-12-2007, 2:41 PM
David, after receiving the parish register records on microfiche for Milton Ernest and Oakley, it is positive the William Hart b. 5/17/1721 in Milton Ernest shows married to Mary Evins on 10/23/1746 in Oakley. One of their children was a William L Hart and Hannah Hart b. 9/13/1747, guessing Hannah may have died at birth or shortly after no records mentioned her thereafter. Thanks for your help!

Terry Hart