PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Thomas Carlisle

Spinner
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Looking for any information on Sidney Thomas Carlisle, He was a sergeant in the Norfolk Yeomanry in the early 1900's and was based in the Andaman Islands. He married Mary Newman and had three daughters one was called Nora Eveline.

We cannot find any information on when and where he was born. We think he could have been born in Ireland.

Any help would be appreciated

Spinner

Geoffers
02-12-2007, 1:28 PM
Do you know when and where he died? The death index should include his age at death, or a date of birth - similarly the actual certificate.

Do you have any records relating to his service in the Yeomanry (I think this was reformed in 1901?) - You mention early 1900's - is this 1905, 1910, roughly when? Service records should be held by The National Archives, they have several research guides online to assist.

You have a wife's full name and maiden name - is this from a birth certificate for one of the children, or a marriage certificate?

Why do you believe he was born in Ireland? - Any idea roughly when?

Trish
02-12-2007, 3:14 PM
Geoffers asks about a marriage certificate. I guess you must have the marriage record for Sidney Thomas Carlisle and Mary Ann Newman in the 3rd quarter of 1899 in Norwich, Norfolk. [Reference: Volume 4b Page 270].

Have you found them in the 1901 census?

Trish

Peter Goodey
02-12-2007, 4:06 PM
His soldier's papers normally include the place of birth. To get hold of these documents you need to have a rough idea of when he was discharged (and hope that it was before the Great War broke out).

I can see a Norma E CARLISLE born in 1910. Is that yours? If so, what was the father's occupation on the birth certificate?

neil1821
02-12-2007, 9:53 PM
Hi,
I think he must have been in another regiment (at least for a time) if he served in the Andaman Islands.
The Norfolk Yeomanry, like all Yeomanry, were volunteer cavalry and later part of the Territorial Army from 1908. As such, like all militia and volunteers they didn't serve abroad.
The exceptions were the volunteers who served in South Africa during the Boer War and then of course many Yeomanry units served in WW1.

Spinner
03-12-2007, 7:08 AM
We have the birth certificate of Nora Eveline. She was born in Chester. He is down as a Barrack Warden on the birth certificate.

The other two daughters were born in the Andaman Islands which is why we know he served there. 1904 & 1905 we think.

We have a photograph of him in his army uniform and his cap badge is the Norfolk Yeomanry. He obviously served with other units.

Nora told the family that he was from Northern Ireland.

Thanks for your help.

Spinner

Peter Goodey
03-12-2007, 9:04 AM
OK. This sounds straightforward. His soldiers papers will tell you where he claimed to have been born.

To get hold of these, search the National Archives series WO 97, specifically the chunk covering 1900-1913. This is WO 97/4232 - WO 97/6322.

If there's nothing found there, you ought to check the misfiled papers WO 97/6323 - WO 97/6354.

They are not name-indexed in the catalogue - you (or someone on your behalf) needs to check in person. However it is an easy job because they're filed in name order.

Also you sound unsure about the birthdates of the siblings. I think you'll be wanting to confirm these and get the birth certificates.

neil1821
03-12-2007, 12:12 PM
The other two daughters were born in the Andaman Islands which is why we know he served there. 1904 & 1905 we think.

We have a photograph of him in his army uniform and his cap badge is the Norfolk Yeomanry. He obviously served with other units.

Spinner

One of the other two daughers then:
Barbara Isabel Carlisle born 1904, Port Blair?

If you were to order her birth certificate (GRO Army Birth Indices) it would (hopefully!) give you a regiment to help trace him further.

Spinner
03-12-2007, 4:46 PM
Hi

Barbara Isabel is one of the daughters we have her birth certificate but it doesn't show anything about the regiment, just that father was a drill sergeant. Eldest daughter was Kathleen, who was also born in Port Blair, and there is a son, name and date of birth not known, but he died aged 9 or 10, back in England. Youngest daughter, Nora, was born in Chester in 1910, at which time he was out of the army proper, so did not serve in the 1914-1918 war.

Peter Goodey
03-12-2007, 4:52 PM
If you do what I advised in my message, you don't need to know his regiment. You just need to know enough about him to be able to identify him.