PDA

View Full Version : Robert R R Rose, Jersey, Channel islands

Anne W
02-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi all,
I live in the western ouskirts of Sydney, New South Wales ,Australia and have been researching the family tree on and of for about a year. Have had great success with my own family, even managing to trace my father's Elliot family in Glascow in the mid 1800's. There are a lot of John Elliot's in Glascow at that time! But have come to a screaming halt with Robert Reginald Richmond Rose , Purser in the Royal Navy 1799-1806. His ship the Pelican, ran aground off Jersey in November 1800 and had to be towed to St Helier to be repaired. In December 1800 he marries a local Jersey girl Ann Waters and they had six children on Jersey. My husband is descended from the youngest, Ann Rose born 1819. She married Thomas Griffith in 1840 and in 1848 they immigrate to Australia , ending up in Newcasle. Robert RR's wedding certificate states quite plainly that he was the Purser on the Pelican, but when I tried to pull his naval records from the National Archives UK, they told me they couldn't find his name on the Muster Lists. Can't find any records of his birth or death and he seems to disappear completely c1838.
Family legend has it that the Aussie Griffith's are descended from the Nobility and Ann Griffith nee Rose was disinherited because of her marriage to Thomas, who was a simple carpenter. While I have found the disinherited bit IS NOT true , there WAS an attempt by the family to claim money from Chancery in England in the 1920's,unsuccessfully as it turned out. Apart from his short stint in the Navy Robert RR doesn't seem to have done anything at all but did seem to have plenty of money, which disappears when he does. I'm at a dead loss to think of where to go from here with this man, any help at all would be great! Bye Anne