PDA

View Full Version : Regiment number?

BearPear
29-11-2007, 2:44 PM
Hi, I was wondering if somebody could direct me to where I can locate a relative's regiment number. I have got the medal card with 6 men with the same name of my ancestor who coincidentally happened to be the only 6 who came up as a match to my man. Now I need to know which one is him.
I could take a wild guess as a couple are not local regiments, two are dead, but it is a bit risky.

Sorry if this is a numpty question, I did have a quick search on the forums but nothing seemed to answer my query!

Cheers everyone.

Geoffers
29-11-2007, 3:51 PM
1. Do you or any relatives have his medals? Around the rim of at least one you should find his rank, number and regiment.

2. If he received a pension, you may be able to identify him from amongst those records being put online. See
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/166.htm

3. Service records from WW1 were destroyed or damaged during WW2. The surviving service records (known as the Burnt records) are being put onlne too - at the same place as the pension records.

4. Is he mentioned in the National Roll of the Great War? This is available on pay-per-view sites such as findmypast. It doesn't include his number, but regiments and ranks are included by which you may be able to identfy which is the correct card.

5. Was he an officer as these can be easier to trace?

Don't assume that your chap joined a local regment, not everyone did.

Toronto
29-11-2007, 4:54 PM
I located my relatives regimental number etc from a ' List of absent voters' this was in Oswestry, Shropshire around 1919.

See if there is such a list in the area you are searching.

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

neil1821
29-11-2007, 6:41 PM
If you'd like someone else to take a quick look at the cards, feel free to email them to me.

There might be other ways to distinguish between them, some of which Geoffers has mentioned.

Neil