PDA

View Full Version : finally found Albert Beake

Barnzzz
28-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Hello, I have an Albert Beake whom I know went to prison and I'd given up hope of ever finding out why. However, tonight on this forum someone recommended the London Gazette website to someone else for an entirely different reason. When I looked at the London Gazette I found Albert straight away ! Unfortunately his Bristol bootmaking 'empire' went bankrupt and he paid the price.

I do know that he came out of prison, moved to Willesdon and continued bootmaking.

I also found another ancestor who became a postman

I wanted to thank the person who provided the link to the London Gazette but have been unable to find that post again, I can only hope they see this in 'new posts'

Sue

arthurk
29-11-2007, 8:23 PM
My wife has BEAK ancestors from Wiltshire, some of who went to Bristol - though I don't think she has an Albert. Can you give any other names, dates etc, please?

Arthur

Barnzzz
29-11-2007, 9:51 PM
Hi Arthur, I don't know if there is a connection as these Beake's originate in Middlezoy and Westonzoyland in Somerset. Some went to Bristol during the 1860s and 70s. Alfred Beake b. 1822 in Middlezoy was the father of Deborah, Albert, Anna, Adelia, Richard, Henry, Emily Jane, Oliver and Mary Elizabeth, all born in Middlezoy between 1843 and 1864.

The Beakes who went to Bristol lived mainly in the south of the city, in Bedminster or Barton Hill. Boot and shoemaking seems to be a family business.

Let me know if you beleive there is a connection.

Sue

arthurk
30-11-2007, 7:54 PM
None of that seems familiar, but it was worth checking!

Arthur

Barnzzz
01-12-2007, 7:55 PM
Its always worth a try

Sue