PDA

View Full Version : Henry Stewart

JanGlaschu
26-11-2007, 9:38 AM
An ancestor of mine, Henry Stewart, was born somewhere in England and later worked as a flesher in Edinburgh, where he married in 1846. I have him in Edinburgh with his wife and daughter on the 1851 census. He then seems to have gone into the army as an infantryman in the 1st Regiment Foot (later I think the Royal Scots?)

He disappears from the records between 1851 and 1861, so my instincts are that he may have fought in the Crimea, but someone looked up the casualty lists for me and didn't find him. Unfortunately I have very little to go on as I don't know exactly where he was born or who his parents were. He was born around 1815.

Any help or advice on where to search appreciated, thanks,

Janet

JanGlaschu
18-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Since I last posted I have found out that his widow received £17 or £18 a year from the Patriotic Fund; This looks more and more likely that he was killed or wounded in the Crimea, but to date I haven't found him on the Casualty lists.

Any information on this Fund appreciated.

Jan1954
18-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Have a rummage in the National Archives Catalogue. I found 15 hits (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=Patriotic+Fund&txtfirstdate=1850&txtlastdate=1855&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=33&image1.y=8&j=1).

crimea1854
19-02-2009, 7:15 AM
Janet

If you had access to the Crimea Medal Roll you might be able to find out if he was with the 1st Regiment in the Crimea. Had he been in the Navy I could have helped.

It is an unfortunate fact that if he died of disease it is unlikely that his service record has survived. The Army took the view that if it was no longer responsible, and no pension was going to be paid, the record could be destroyed.

Martin