PDA

View Full Version : Birth records Enniskillen

Brian Turnbull
26-11-2007, 3:59 AM
Can anyone tell me if there are surviving birth records for around 1840 -1850 in Enniskillen? My great grandfather, William James Robinson, was married in Queensland in 1872 and said his age was 26 at the time. He said he was born in Enniskillen to Richard Robinson a publican and Jane (Wilson). I have no idea when he arrived in Australia or at what port.
Brian

Geoffers
26-11-2007, 9:04 AM
I believe civil registration only began in 1864 in Ireland, so you may need to refer to parish registers which could still be in the care of the local priest

Brian Turnbull
28-11-2007, 6:16 AM
Geoffers, thanks for that information,I will look further.
Brian

Hall/Swan
18-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if there are surviving birth records for around 1840 -1850 in Enniskillen? My great grandfather, William James Robinson, was married in Queensland in 1872 and said his age was 26 at the time. He said he was born in Enniskillen to Richard Robinson a publican and Jane (Wilson). I have no idea when he arrived in Australia or at what port.
Brian

Know what parish in Enniskillen? Religion?

Also you can try to look up wills for his parents!

Licence records for publicans!

Brian Turnbull
04-11-2008, 8:13 PM
Hal/Swan,thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I do not know the parish or religion.He was married to a girl from Ofally in Queensland in 1872 by a Presbyterian minister out in the sticks.It may have been a case of getting the first passing person "of the cloth" regardless of denomination, to perform the ceremony.
Brian

Hall/Swan
05-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Well Richard Robinson would have had to be licenced to be a publican in Enniskillen!! So it will be recorded, might be worth a try?

Brian Turnbull
13-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Hall/Swan, thanks for the tip. Do you happen to know where these records would be3 kept? I tried some google searches but didn't come up with anything. (mind you my google expertise is pretty limited).
Brian

Elwyn Soutter
13-11-2008, 6:59 PM
Brian,

The names you have listed suggest to me that your ancestors were either Church of Ireland or Presbyterian. You could contact the C of I via www.ireland dot anglican org and go to the genealogy link.

The main Presbyterian Church in Enniskillen seems to be in Lisnarrick Rd, Enniskillen BT94 1PX. You could write to them at that address or try www.presbyterianireland dot org.

Elwyn

Hall/Swan
14-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Hall/Swan, thanks for the tip. Do you happen to know where these records would be kept? I tried some google searches but didn't come up with anything. (mind you my google expertise is pretty limited).
Brian

Don't forget to Yahoo too...... Keyword search "Enniskillen" "Publican" "Robinson" etc, otherwise a visit to PRONI in Belfast for the records.

Don't have time to Google/Yahoo it right now but there could easily be something from your searches!!

Brian Turnbull
16-11-2008, 1:03 AM
Thanks Elwyn Soutter for that info. There may be mote to his being married by a Presbyterian minister than I thought.

Hall/Swan, thanks for the tips. I did not expect you to do a search for me, I just thought you may have known off hand the name of a repository for the records.
Brian

Hall/Swan
17-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks Elwyn Soutter for that info. There may be mote to his being married by a Presbyterian minister than I thought.

Hall/Swan, thanks for the tips. I did not expect you to do a search for me, I just thought you may have known off hand the name of a repository for the records.
Brian

Not a problem Brian.. I might have to look for one of mine too.

The only place I know of would be PRONI....as a repository.

The Petty Sessions in the local court would hear their application for annual license applcation...

Maybe Google the Petty Sessions for Enniskillen..?? etc

As for Presby's....A LOT MORE!! my g/uncles were 1st Presby's, all buried in same g/yard, my g/father was 2nd Presby so had to be buried elsewhere... even they didn't "get along"!!|rant|

Hall/Swan
17-11-2008, 6:30 PM
G'day!!

No Robinson Publican in Enniskillen 1852.

Tavern keeper and Publicans...

Robinson, Robert, 75 Ann Street. in 1843! Fair dinkum, eh??? or Fair drinkum??|5cups|

Hall/Swan
17-11-2008, 6:40 PM
3 Robinson pubs in Enniskillen and often a family concern!!

Robinson, Robert, 75 Ann Street.
Robinson, Urcelia, 31 Hanover Quay.
Robinson, T., 10 Pilot Street.

jeanr7
17-11-2008, 7:46 PM
Try this link if you haven't come across it already. I found lots of my family on the Louth section..
http://fermanagh.brsgenealogy.com/
My son-in-law is decended from Robinsons of Antrim and he is just starting his family tree, if I come across something that might be useful to you I will post it.
All the best, Jean.

Brian Turnbull
25-11-2008, 11:59 PM
jeanr7, thanks for your tip I will se what I can find.
Brian

Brian Turnbull
26-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Hall/Swan thanks for your info. Maybe my g grandfather wasn't terribly accurate with the information he gave.

Brian

clland
26-11-2008, 9:16 AM
Brian
Brian
I am going to my local library today so will search for you as they have all the Irish records, also going to Belfast on Friday so can do more leg work for. Any records I can find I'll let you know.
Carol

Brian Turnbull
03-12-2008, 12:12 AM
clland

Thank you for your generous offer.

Brian

John Cox
19-12-2008, 9:55 PM
How would one going about tracing family in Enniskillen??
Looking for John Cox, g grandfather, born in Enniskillen 1783. Immigrated to York, Quebec in 1833. Settled Goderich Ontario. Died 1835. Likely farm family.
Had sons George, David, James and John; and daughters Margaret, Anne, Jane, all who immigrated with him and a daughter Fanny who stayed in Ireland. Believe they were Protestant.
Any information would be helpful??
John