PDA

View Full Version : A brick wall of 15-20 years

thehappygranny
26-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi everyone |help|

This is my first post on B-G and I'm desperate for help or suggestions as to where to go next.

My maternal grandmother,Elizabeth Violet Catchpole nee Everett always celebrated her birthday on October 14th.She said she was born in 1884 in Portsmouth and her birth date is on her death certificate. The year and town also tallies with the 1891 census and 1901 census...........and with her age on her marriage certificate to William Elijah Catchpole.
It gives her fathers name as Henry Everett,a ticket writer and on the census her mothers name is Elizabeth.......we don't know her mothers maiden name.

After sending for several birth certificates and looking through the whole 1880's for an Everett birth, we are unable to find her in the PRO or on Parish Record sites............or indead a marriage of a Henry Everett to an Elizabeth ?.
There are several records on the free sites but they are not our Henry or our Elizabeth.

We wrote and asked for a search of the Portsmouth offices,unfortunately they didn't come up with anything.

She was a bit secretive about her life, giving nothing away,so there is a secret she may have taken to her grave with her.

My questions are:-

1) As she was married in the Church of England would she have had to have been baptised? In that case would a record have been kept in some church records?

2)If she was in a poor house would there be any records in the county the poor house was in?

Has anyone any suggestions as to where to go next?

After all these years searching, some 15 to 20, I would welcome any breakthrough no matter how small.

I can trace her fathers tree back..........assuming the Everett's are her bloodline.

Fingers crossed

Sue

suedent
26-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Could this be her parents?

Marriages Mar 1884
EVERETT Henry Portsea I. 2b 656
Mitchell Frances Elizabeth Portsea 2b 656

It's not that unusual for someone to go by their middle name rather than their first.

MarkJ
26-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Bear in mind the death certificate supplies information from someone other than the person concerned - i.e Elizabeth, who was the person who knew her birth date best, was deceased. Whoever supplied the details for the certificate was at best passing on what they believed to be correct. Elizabeth may perhaps have preferred to seem a year or two younger than she really was!
Having said that, there are a few Elizabeth Everetts listed around the 1880's. I suspect you have already exhausted those, but -
Elizabeth Annie Portsea June qtr 1880 2b 454
Elizabeth Betsey Portsea March qtr 1884 2b 511
Elizabeth Annie Portsea June qtr 1887 2b 484

Mark

suedent
26-11-2007, 1:02 AM
It's also possible that her birth surname wasn't Everett, possibly Henry married her mother when she was very young and Elizabeth Violet wasn't aware of the fact.

bumblebee
26-11-2007, 1:15 AM
Going by the marriage that Suedent posted there is this birth..

Elizabeth Violet Mitchell, 1884 Q1 Cardiff, Glamorgan 11a 249

On the 1901 census Mother Elizabeth says she is born in Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales
Class: RG13; Piece: 527; Folio: 40; Page: 9.

Bumblebee

MarkJ
26-11-2007, 1:24 AM
There are several Elizabeth Violet hits in Hampshire if you ignore the surname as Sue says.
Perhaps it is worth a consideration - although difficult to track down.

Mark

Edit: That was a brilliant spot of deduction Bumblebee! It is worth a follow up I am sure. If Elizabeth Violets parents were not married, they probably would not have mentioned it to their daughter!

Mark

Geoffers
26-11-2007, 8:14 AM
My maternal grandmother,Elizabeth Violet Catchpole nee Everett always celebrated her birthday on October 14th.She said she was born in 1884 in Portsmouth.......we don't know her mothers maiden name.

Does the census show Elizabeth as having any siblings? Can you locate their births, either as EVERETT or under her mum's maiden name (e.g. see the postings above regarding the name MITCHELL).

Not everyone married, or they married after birth of children.

Do you know when Henry died?

As she was married in the Church of England would she have had to have been baptised?

No, but if she was not born on 12th Oct 1884, it is still possible that the date was significant - perhaps this was the date she was baptised? - but where?

If she was in a poor house would there be any records in the county the poor house was in?

There may be surviving workhouse records, if she/her family were admitted. The question is, which workhouse?

thehappygranny
26-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi to you all

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes we have all the above certificates......from Portsea,Glamorgan etc. and all the Elizabeth Violets!

We are looking into a possibility it maybe a Elizabeth Violet Edwards..........born Holborn at the moment on 22nd November 1884 (well that's the latest certificate we've sent for).Her father,according to the free records possibly died a month before her birth.Mother was Harriet and her mother's maiden name was Moon.I haven't been able to track this Elizabeth Violet on any census records where as the others I have.

The Everett family name appears to have been popular in Hampshire but I have tracked down all of them on further census records...........including the other Henry Everett..........who is not a million miles from my Henry in London in 1901.............I have a feeling they may be related.

My Henry is the son of William Everett and Cornelia nee Carr formerly Wandes/Wones.
I have also found the Elizabeth Violet born to Henry Mitchell in Cardiff on census records.......after I sent for the certificate!! |laugh1|

Will analyse all the replies in detail later..........was up so late posting my 1st post I'm not yet properly awake |nopity|

Thank you all...............your help is truly appreciated...........and yes, she did go by her second name of Vi

Sue

bumblebee
26-11-2007, 2:17 PM
I hope you will let us know if you make any headway. Roll on the 1911 census and let us hope it brings some clues with it...

Bumblebee