PDA

View Full Version : Henry Aitkin

margaret rose
25-11-2007, 9:48 PM
Hi Im a newbie so hear goes, can anyone help me find the background on my g,g,g, grandad Henry Aitken, all I know he was born abt 1804 i think Maryport, he married Rebecca Gammon 27/11/1831 in Crosscannonby Cumberland, children were Robert Aitkin b abt 1832, William Aitkin b abt 1835, Rebecca Aitkin b abt 1837, Eleanor Aitkin b abt 1838, and Henry Aitkin b abt 1846. any help on who Henry,s parents might have been or on any of the names mentioned would be gratefully apreciated Regards Margaret .|help|

Geoff Everitt
25-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Perhaps this was the family in the 1851 census

Robinson Brow, Workington
Rebecca ATKIN (wid) 44 Sussex Leominster (but Leominster is in Herefordshire)
Robert 18 Ship's Carpenter, Maryport
William 13 Maryport
Eleanor 12 Workington

Do you really know anything at all about Henry? I guess this would be his death
Deaths Sep 1846
Aikin Henry Cockermouth 25 86

Geoff Everitt
25-11-2007, 11:44 PM
There was also this death - I guess one was the father and the other one the son

Deaths Mar 1847
Aikin Henry Cockermouth 25 104

margaret rose
26-11-2007, 1:52 PM
Thank you Geoff for the info,I know nothing at all about Henry other than who he married, i cant seem to find anything but now youve given me the death dates i have something to go on, I found a bit on Rebecca it was Lyminster not Leominster she was born in Sussex .the spelling does change a lot doesnt it just. still trying to find something on the boys, William b abt 1835 was my great great grandfather , and ive found his decendants to date. |jumphappy thanks again for your time regards Margaret.

Geoff Everitt
26-11-2007, 4:35 PM
I was wondering if Henry was a Scot ... looking at the IGI, I see that the kids were bap in a Presbyterian church, so perhaps he was (or Irish).

I don't know if this was the boys in the 1841 census, possibly with Grandma ...

Quay, Workington
Rebeca JEMMENS/SEMMENS 52 (I wonder if she was actually GAMMON)
Margaret LESTER 55
Robert AKIN/ATKIN 8
William 5

A Rebecca GAMMON died Q3 1846, Cockermouth District, Vol 25 Page 87

margaret rose
27-11-2007, 2:10 PM
Hi Geoff, I did think Henry was a scot but he could well have been Irish, as ive no relatives alive to ask so Henry is proving quite a challenge, being new to all this and a bit long in the tooth, im learning something new every day, When i first started reasearching the family I went backwards from my father , I joined Gene,s and found a few cousins but they cant get beyond Henry either, I will look into the info you have kindly given me and let you know how I get on. and once again thankyou for all your help. Regards Margaret.