PDA

View Full Version : Where can you look up old newspapers?

Maureenmcb
25-11-2007, 9:12 PM
I would like to look up a traffic accident in which my late Dad's brother was killed in the Whitechapel area of Liverpool sometime during the 1950/60's but have no idea where to start looking.

Can anybody steer me in the right direction please.

I contacted the Liverpool Echo but they said I'd have to look in the William Brown Library archives dept but as I live in Norfolk that's a bit of a problem.

Maureen

uksearch
25-11-2007, 9:20 PM
In order to cut your search down to the minimum you need to establish the date of the accident, which may or may not coincide with his date of death. If it was a fatal accident, and he did not die later from his injuries, obtaining the death certificate would be a good starter. Once you have this information our Merseyside expert will possibly be able to help you.

UK

Wirral
25-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Once you have this information our Merseyside expert will possibly be able to help you.

No idea who this is, but in the meantime,,,,.
First of all, as UK says, you need to get a copy of the death certificate to find out the date of death. Unfortunately the Liverpool newspaper records are not indexed online, so unless the death was sensational - eg a murder, major accident - it is unlikely to be reported in the national newspapers that are online, such as the Manchester Guardian or The Times.
Once you have the date of death, then it is just a question of working from that date & looking in the newspapers - for that you just need to ask nicely!
If you do not want to post the name on the site (probably safer in these days of identity fraud - though what's 25M+ names between friends?|shakehead), send me a PM.