PDA

View Full Version : 1851 lookup please seeking 'Hayman' St Giles

Martha
02-12-2004, 1:26 PM
Hi all
I have a birth cert for my 2x Great Grandfather Charles John Hayman, he was born in 1853 at 1 Drury Lane south of St Giles (St Giles in the Fields Middlesex)

His parents were Samuel Hayman a bricklayer and Ann (formerly Chatley)

Acording to the IGI, Charles had an older brother called William born Nov 1850 christened at All Souls Saint Marylebone (same place that Charles was christened)

Can anybody with access to the 1851, please have a look at 1 Drury Lane, or nearby and see if my Samuel Hayman and family are living there.

many thanks
Deborah

Copper
02-12-2004, 6:41 PM
Hi Deborah

HO107/1508 (Drury lane is on Folios 191-196 and I checked them all)
1 Drury Lane
Samuel HAYMAN, head, 62, Chelsea Pensioner & Labourer, Devon Ashburton
Rose HAYMAN, wife, 51, Ireland Enniskillen
Elizabeth HAYMAN, dau, Un, 22, Apprentice flower making, Warwick Coventry
Mary HAYMAN, dau, Un, 20, Apprentice flower making, British Subject West Ind: Bermuda
Jane HAYMAN, dau, 9, Apprentice flower making, Midd: St Giles

I guess that Rose could be the second wife of Samuel and Jane is their daughter.

Copper

Martha
02-12-2004, 7:51 PM
Hi Copper
Boy oh boy,
Thank you so much for this, I guess it took much longer to look for this address than I anticipated, very sorry about that, I am truly grateful for your efforts.

This information as thrown up something most unexpected.
My Samuel Hayman was married to Ann and had one child called William in 1850, Charles Henry (my 2x great Grandfather) was born at 1 Drury Lane in 1853.
I am now wondering if this Samuel that you have found was in fact the parent of my Samuel?
There is no evidence of him being there then, but maybe he moved there during the next three years?
The familys have to be connected though, two Samuel Haymans at the same address within three years, surely not a coincidence.

Thank you so much, more questions and more possibilities :-)

best wishes
Martha

Copper
03-12-2004, 2:00 PM
Hi Martha

Finding 1 Drury Lane was a quick task but as this Samuel and family did not appear to fit your facts I checked the rest of the Lane. It is odd that a Samuel Hayman should be at that address - there must be some sort of connection.

Copper

Martha
14-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Copper
yes I am hoping so, I am doing a little more research on both Samuels now.

The only one I think I may have Samuel Jnr on is the 1891, he appears as a bricklayer born Canada living in a lunatic asylum :-(
However, as he is on his own I cannot be sure.

The Samuel that you found was an Chelsea pensioner and had a daughter in Bermuda, he could have had a son in Canada during his army life as well as findng a wife in Ireland.

Samuel jnr had another son in 1850, so I will order that birth cert and see if it gives me another address for the family.

best wishes
Martha