PDA

View Full Version : Gedcom to HTML

Ed McKie
25-11-2007, 7:44 AM
Hi
I use Legacy and have a fair number of photos included. I want to create a CD for my kith and kin (the living ones that is) and am looking for a programme which will convert the info to HTML and include the photos. I have sampled many of the ged to html progs. but havent found one that will include ALL the photos for an individual, only one of them. Has anyone come across a programme which will do this. It doesnt have to the free, but if it is ....

Cheers..Ed

Mary Young
26-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Ed, why not use Legacy's own "Create Web Pages" function? Then copy the files to CD, plus one of those little "self-starter" .exe files.

Ed McKie
27-11-2007, 2:44 AM
Ed, why not use Legacy's own "Create Web Pages" function? Then copy the files to CD, plus one of those little "self-starter" .exe files.

thats what I started with Mary- but for some reason the personal page only contains the "preferred" picture and none of the others.

Have tried to get round this- but have only come up with the daunting task of editing each page separately to include the html code for the other pics. Dont think I could live that long to finish :-)

Cheers..Ed

Mary Young
27-11-2007, 9:57 AM
thats what I started with Mary - but for some reason the personal page only contains the "preferred" picture and none of the others.
Cheers..Ed
Yes, only the preferred picture is included for each person. But you can add your other pictures to Legacy events. This is a one-off task. Here's my very clumsy attempt at my father's life. Needs updating and serious tidying, but at least demonstrates the principle.
http://redhunter.com/cmy/ped-lewis/40.htm

arthurk
27-11-2007, 8:18 PM
It's a while since I used Legacy and was a member of their users' email list - and even then I never got round to putting pictures in - but if memory serves correctly, to add to what Mary said, I don't think you'd be limited to the events you're already using, but could create any number of user-defined events (such as Photo, Birth Certificate) simply as a kind of place-holder to attach the pictures to.

Arthur

Ed McKie
28-11-2007, 2:18 AM
Thanks Mary and Arthur.

have now found how to add pictures to events. I can see that the icon has always been in the event tab, but it is not mentioned anywhere else. Being something of a word person, I find that I need written instructions for things, rather than illustrations. Can you imagine the mess I get into putting together furniture out of the box these days ?.

Anyway, Mary, a "one off task " did you mean I can add all the pictures to events with one click :-) Or do I have to go to each individual and connect their pictures to the event tab ?

Cheers..Ed

Mary Young
28-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Anyway, Mary, a "one off task " did you mean I can add all the pictures to events with one click :-) Or do I have to go to each individual and connect their pictures to the event tab ?Cheers..Ed
By "one off task" I meant - do the work once in Legacy, you won't need to edit html when you update your website.
An individual's events tell the story of his life. So use the standard events in chronological order ... birth, residence, marriage, occupation etc. ... each event can have a picture added (if you have one). I also created an event "Photo" and fill in the Notes field with the narrative. If you edit the Master Event Sentence Definition so that only the Notes print this becomes a free-form editor to tell your story.
Good help and advice at WUL Yahoo Grouphttp://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/WUL/ A quiet Group but excellent help, and sample websites.

Ed McKie
29-11-2007, 6:01 AM
Thanks for all that Mary- will have to make a start. A task for a winters evening or three, only trouble is it is Summer out here....oh well.. :-)

Cheers..Ed

Chisel
06-01-2008, 2:15 AM
If you can hang out until Legacy 7 comes out you might find that the fantastic new feature hinted at (other than charts) will be better webpage design.