PDA

View Full Version : medal at auction

terryharvey2005
23-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I have just found out that a medal awarded to my grandfather was sold at auction in 2002. I found this out by chance just looking at a online database of medals sold at auction. I wondered if anybody has any experience of tracking down a medal that belonged to a member of their family. I have contacted the auction house and i am awaiting a reply. I am sure they wont give me any contact information and rightly so, but if anyone has any further advice I would be grateful

regards

Terry

Geoffers
23-11-2007, 1:11 PM
Medal Magazine (should turn up using a search engine) has an online medal tracker service - might be worth a try?

terryharvey2005
23-11-2007, 1:28 PM
Thanks Geoffers

I have just subscribed to their medal tracker service

regards

Terry

suedent
23-11-2007, 1:45 PM
I found a medal belonging to a member of my family for sale on eBay (via a dealer). I was fortunate enough to be able to buy it back for the family but it's still a mystery as to how it ever left the family in the first place.

terryharvey2005
23-11-2007, 1:53 PM
I am just amazed that it still exists, my grandfather died when my dad was just eleven, so I have no idea what happened to it I assume he sold it to make ends meet but who knows. It sold at auction for about £500 in 2002 so I dread to think how much it would be to buy it back especially if they knew that it was from my family.

Terry

Mike_E
23-11-2007, 2:08 PM
I've been trying to find my Dads medals for the last 4 years. he had 7 of them from WWII including an MSM, which make shis set quite nice, and is unlikely to be broken up by a collector.

The step mother sold them after dad died, and burned most of the family photos before any of us kids got a chance to grab them. I won't repeat what I called her after we found out what she had done.

pwenlock
30-11-2007, 9:39 PM
Terry,
You may strike lucky. Many of the reputable auction houses will pass on correspondence to buyers.

Good luck
P