PDA

View Full Version : information on Francis

greann
23-11-2007, 1:17 AM
Hi I am looking for any information on William Herbert Francis. He came to Scotland sometime after 1873. I found him with his wife Eliza and children Ernest E. and Alice E. in the 1881 Census then again in 1891 with wife Jessie and children Ernest E. ,Alice E., and John William. I can't seem to find him anywhere after 1881. He was a master printer. I know he was still alive as of 1913 because he is listed on my great granddad's marriage certificate.
Also I am looking for any information on his oldest son. I have his birth information, but would like marriage and death information. His full name was Ernest Edwin Bishop. His father changed their names for some unknown reason. His death register may be under the surname Francis or Bishop. I know his sister Alice changed her name back to Bishop for old age pension reasons.
Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Ann

Trish
23-11-2007, 4:18 AM
Hi I am looking for any information on William Herbert Francis. He came to Scotland sometime after 1873. I found him with his wife Eliza and children Ernest E. and Alice E. in the 1881 Census then again in 1891 with wife Jessie and children Ernest E. ,Alice E., and John William. I can't seem to find him anywhere after 1881. He was a master printer. I know he was still alive as of 1913 because he is listed on my great granddad's marriage certificate.
Also I am looking for any information on his oldest son. I have his birth information, but would like marriage and death information. His full name was Ernest Edwin Bishop. His father changed their names for some unknown reason. His death register may be under the surname Francis or Bishop. I know his sister Alice changed her name back to Bishop for old age pension reasons.
Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
AnnAnn,

You probably have Ernest E. Francis on the 1901 census with wife Jessie and children Louisa and Jennie?

Trish

greann
23-11-2007, 2:09 PM
Hi, yes I do only.................Jessie was his stepmother and Jeannie and Louisa were his sisters. That's why I'm so confused as to where his father went......... My family (what is left of them) had no idea these people existed. You see..... my granddad was a showman and we never really knew what to believe!!!!!!;) He refused to talk about his family most of the time. It wasn't untill I found the 1881 Census that we dicovered my great granddad had a brother (Ernest) and sisters. I have been able to trace these women right up until they died. (I even got a picture of their graves)This is very sad as I was on vacation in Scotland when they were alive......... If only i had known!!!!! I have no more information on Ernest.. I would like to find his marriage( I do know he was married) I found letters that refer to his one child, but they do not mention names. Nor do I know when he died.
Ann

Trish
23-11-2007, 3:15 PM
Hi, yes I do only.................Jessie was his stepmother and Jeannie and Louisa were his sisters. That's why I'm so confused as to where his father went......... My family (what is left of them) had no idea these people existed. You see..... my granddad was a showman and we never really knew what to believe!!!!!!;) He refused to talk about his family most of the time. It wasn't untill I found the 1881 Census that we dicovered my great granddad had a brother (Ernest) and sisters. I have been able to trace these women right up until they died. (I even got a picture of their graves)This is very sad as I was on vacation in Scotland when they were alive......... If only i had known!!!!! I have no more information on Ernest.. I would like to find his marriage( I do know he was married) I found letters that refer to his one child, but they do not mention names. Nor do I know when he died.
AnnSorry, Ann, my error. Should've checked the relationships. Duh.

I notice that Ernest's birthplace is recorded as England [in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses]. Same for William Herbert, Eliza and Alice. Have you looked for them in England?

There's another Ernest Francis in Barony, Lanarkshire whose birthplace is given as England... He's with the military so probably just a coincidence.

Sorry, not much help.

Trish

Chasing Caseys
23-11-2007, 4:04 PM
Hi Ann

Have you tried looking for them on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - you will be able to download the certificates from here for a fee.

greann
23-11-2007, 9:11 PM
Hi Trish,
I do have all the information from England.........that was the easy part!!!
This is all so frustrating!!!! ugh.....
Thank you for taking the time to look into things for me.
Ann

greann
23-11-2007, 9:13 PM
Hi Tracey,
Thanks for you reply. I have looked at the website.......I guess I'm just going to have to look a little harder.
Thanks again
Ann