PDA

View Full Version : Surname interests - regions unknown

Heatha
01-12-2004, 10:58 PM
First, my apologies that this is so vague. I've come into possesion of part of the family tree that undoubtedly stems from Scotland. However there are very few places of birth. Some of the names that appear are:

Mary ANDERSON married Robert PEEL-RICHE 1874

Ellen Julia VARDON born Gardenstown, 1908

Julia VARDON married ? SCOUGALL probably late 1800s

Agnes Isabella ANDERSON born 1840 married Sir George BALLINGALL

If anyone recognises any of these names could they please get in touch as I have hit an enormous brick wall.

Many thanks,

Heatha.

Phil
01-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi

I have found scotlands people a good site to have a look at and you can get some answers straight away. I don't know anything about the names you are looking for but Gardenstown is Gamrie, Banffshire.

Regards

Phil

Geoffers
01-12-2004, 11:39 PM
First, my apologies that this is so vague. I've come into possesion of part of the family tree that undoubtedly stems from Scotland. However there are very few places of birth. Some of the names that appear are:
Agnes Isabella ANDERSON born 1840 married Sir George BALLINGALL

The 1881 census transcript has the following who could be identified from your list:

Coupar Rd Altamount, Blairgowrie, Perth
GRO Ref Volume 335 EnumDist 7 Page 7
Agnes Isabella BALLINGALL W 39 F Blairgowrie, Perth, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Landed Proprietor
George Anderson BALLINGALL U 20 M Bombay
Rel: Son
Occ: M.A. Student Of Medicine
Alfred GELEBIAU U 20 M Turkey
Rel: Guest
Occ: M Band C.M. (Edinb)
Grace MC ARA U 23 F Blair Atholl, Perth, Scotland
Rel: Servt
Occ: Ladys Maid Dom Serv
Martha MACRAE U 27 F Forteviot, Perth, Scotland
Occ: Cook Dom Servt ((Housemaid))
Mary NESBIT U 23 F Ratho, Edinburgh, Scotland
Occ: Housemaid Dom Servt

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Heatha
02-12-2004, 9:12 PM
Thanks very much. I will try the Scottish site, and, Geoffers, thanks for the information on Agnes Isabella. This looks right with the Bombay connection as there was an indigo merchant, based in Calcutta, in the tree too.

Kind regards,

Heatha.

stephbar
19-09-2006, 4:55 PM
Heatha,
I recognise various names (Anderson, Peel-Ritchie etc.) which feature in a version of my family tree - on my father's side. Also, one of my great-great grandfathers was an indigo merchant in Calcutta! Don't get too excited - we don't know much about him- but maybe you can help.
Stephbar

Chris Garraway
13-03-2007, 8:16 PM
Help can any body help me to find an Anthony Garraway possibly a James or a Stewart in the name or maybe possible both names as Middle names he was born any time between 1771 and 1777 in Scotland we think he came to County Durham England early 1800's and settled down and got married and had a family He married a Sahra Thornton on OCTOBER 20 1820 from lanchester at st Micheals church Durham on THE 1841 until 1871 cencus
he was said to be a british citizen and born in Scotland. We do not even know what his religion he or his family were. we have found other members of his British family in Australia, New zealand, and in other parts of England l finding other members of my family l would love to find members of Anthony's
in Scotland if any body can help l would really appreciate the help

thanks chris

Lesley Robertson
16-05-2007, 12:19 PM
FreeBMD shows the death cert for an Anthony Stewart Garroway in Durham in 1867 aged 96. I suggest that you get the death certificate, it should provide more info.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Davran
16-05-2007, 2:10 PM
Heatha

You may like to put a post on Talking Scot, which is a site dedicated to Scottish research. Although I haven't had much luck on there, I keep an eye open to see if anyone is looking for my family. They are also very knowledgeable about Scottish research.

http://talkingscot.com/forum/profile.php?

Good luck

Stephen M. Kohler
16-05-2007, 6:07 PM
Anderson, Scougal, and Vardon are Scottish names but their origins are further east in Scandinavia. Gardenstown and Crovie are small north-east coastal villages in Gamrie. It’s an area known as Aberdeenshire. Contact this gentleman, Norman Donald Anderson lives in Braeside at 162 High Street, Gardenstown, Banff, B45 3YW His telephone number is: 01261 851059. He seems to be in the Scotish Family History business somewhat and may be of assistance.

Stephen
Washington, DC