PDA

View Full Version : Chaplain County Gaol, John Dreaper

wengan
21-11-2007, 5:18 AM
Hi
I'm after how I can find information regarding a John Dreaper, b ca 1819 Ireland.
He is listed as a Chaplain of the County Gaol, St Giles Parish, Northampton, Civil Parish Stony Stratford, Giles as listed on the 1861 Census.

On the 1881 Census for John he is listed as Chaplain H.M. Prison Stangeways which is now the Manchester Prison.

On the 1891 Census he is listed as living at 618 Stresford/Stretford Road, Stretford/Stresford, Lancashire, aged 72 years employed as a Clerk in the Holy Order

How can I find places that would hold the Chaplain records for the Gaols. I have no idea what his religion was making it harder for me to track him down. I feel that the Gaol records would be more benificial to me.

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Wendy
Geelong
Victoria
Australia

Geoffers
21-11-2007, 8:24 AM
He may appear in Crockfords Clerical Directory which was first published in 1858 http://www.crockford.org.uk/

Searching their directory s free, to view the full record you need a subscription

Some editions of Crckfords have been published on CD, try
http://www.parishchest.com/ to see if anyone there has copies.
Other publishes advertising in genealogy magazines may sell copies. You may find a parital run of the direcotry n larger research libraries.

Prison records can be in several locations, first place to try is the prison itself. Also try local county record offices.

Peter Goodey
21-11-2007, 9:10 PM
Crockfords 1868

DREAPER, John, Northampton.- Dub.A.B. 1840;
Deac. and Pr. 1846 by Bp of Wor. Chap, of the County
Gaol, Northampton. Formerly Asst. Chap, to the Convict
Prison, Wakefield; C. of St. Thomas's, Birmingham,
1846-47, Saddington, Leicestershire, 1847-52. [23]

uksearch
21-11-2007, 9:25 PM
Hi
snip
On the 1881 Census for John he is listed as Chaplain H.M. Prison Stangeways which is now the Manchester Prison.

On the 1891 Census he is listed as living at 618 Stresford/Stretford Road, Stretford/Stresford, Lancashire, aged 72 years employed as a Clerk in the Holy Order

How can I find places that would hold the Chaplain records for the Gaols. I have no idea what his religion was making it harder for me to track him down. I feel that the Gaol records would be more benificial to me.

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Wendy
Geelong
Victoria
Australia

He does not appear in the prison records for Strangeways that have survived. The vast majority of these records were destroyed in the riot of 1990.

UK

wengan
22-11-2007, 1:57 AM
thank you to you all for providing the information on Rev John Dreaper.
The information on John Dreaper has helped to fill in the rest of the written information on his wife Anna Bloomfield that I received from a cousin in August 1987.
"Anna died in England, married Rev Dreaper "

Since then I have searched and searched for members of the Bloomfield Family, including names of Dunne, Crowe, Keenan, Shields and Dreaper that supposedly moved to England and America.

I left a message on an American list asking for information on a James F Shields that died circa 1905. A newspaper item was posted in an Australian newspaper seeking relatives of a Johanna Keenan whos married name was Bloomfield. One of Johanna's sons, George Humphrey Bloomfield read it and eventually received part of Jame's estate along with his sister.

On Friday, 16 Nov 2007 I received an email from a family member of the Dunne family, one of the Bloomfied's relatives and bingo, I have so much information that supports what my cousin sent me all those years ago.

The moral of the story "Never Give Up" as you could get a reply 20 years later.

Once again, thank you

from a very happy Wendy