PDA

View Full Version : Transcription of a marriage entry

Diane Grant-Salmon
19-11-2007, 6:34 PM
I have a transcription of an 1831 marriage entry, from Kingswinford Parish Register, which is handwritten.

At the bottom of the page is this: (Click on the thumbnail piccie)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/DianeGS/Photos/th_Declaration.jpg (http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/DianeGS/Photos/Declaration.jpg)

Does anyone know if signing over a stamp, was normal practice for this in the 1930's please?

AnnB
19-11-2007, 6:52 PM
I don't know about the 1930's Diane - and I can't say I've ever seen that in a parish register - but I have a copy of my grandparent's marriage certificate dated 1911 and that has a penny stamp on the bottom right hand corner with the Registrar's signature over it (they were married in Barnstaple Register Office). I've never really thought about it till now :o

Best wishes
Ann

Peter Goodey
19-11-2007, 7:57 PM
My memory is hazy here...it was a tax that you paid by sticking a postage stamp on the document and cancelling it. Receipts were also treated in this way. The same applied to cheques but the stamp was preprinted in those cases. Someone will put me right...

Guy Etchells
19-11-2007, 10:11 PM
That is correct Peter, as far as I can remember the method was still being used in the early 60s.
Cheers
Guy

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-11-2007, 6:54 AM
|wave| All.
Thank you very much for your replies and the explanation ...... I shall always remember this now, just in case someone asks the same question!

AnnB
20-11-2007, 10:58 AM
My thanks as well :)

And thanks for asking the question Diane. I know I wondered about it in the past, but it was only when I saw this thread that I remembered about my grandparent's marriage certificate.

Best wishes
Ann

Geoffers
20-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know if signing over a stamp, was normal practice for this in the 1930's please?

I have a copy of my dad's birth certificate, the copy having been issued at Pompey in the 1930s. In the bottom right corner is a small rectangle within which are written the words '1d stamp to be affixed and cancelled' It doesn't bear a stamp, presumably because his dad was in the RN, and instead it is cancelled 'Exempt from Stamp Duty'.

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-11-2007, 4:19 PM
Aha! Now we know how to save on stamp duty ...... join the RN! ;)

That's OK in the 1930's, to save an old penny, but I wonder if this applies to Stamp Duty now ..... e.g. when buying a new house!!! :D