PDA

View Full Version : normab

normab
18-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been doing family history research since the early '80s , on and off. My family tree starts in Hampshire, and is part of the JOHN & FRANCES WEST line. JOHN WEST was a scrivener for Samuel Pepys and left a trust for any of his family to help if they are in need ,and to provide scholarships to Christ's Hospital School in Horsham for gifted children. The main names in this family are ANTHONY & ROGERS.

I have also been trying to trace my husband's line which seems to hail from both Lancashire and Yorkshire. these names are WHITELEY & WILKINSON.

I am always keen to hear from people who are related to these trees. It is good to be able to compare notes.

Trish
18-11-2007, 1:24 PM
Normab,

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

One of our national daily newspapers publishes a day out of Samuel Pepys' diary each weekday. Right now they're up to November 1664. You can also access it online (http://www.pepysdiary.com/) as I'm sure you're aware.

So I'm curious... Is your John West mentioned in his diary?

Trish

normab
09-01-2008, 2:26 PM
Hi Trish,

Long time with no reply to your question, sorry, busy time of year. I do not think that John West was mentioned in Pepys diary. I have taken that infomation from the John and Francis West family group website, who say that he was a friend and associate. He attended Pepys funeral and was presented with a 15s ring to mark the occasion. There was a bequest from Pepys "In plate - to Mr West, some small piece" This was a large pair of tumblers weighing 23 oz.

Best wishes Norma