18-11-2007, 12:45 AM
I've obtained a birth certificate and it shows this :

--------
Sex : Male
---------
Name of father : Unknown father
---------
name of mother :

Mary ****** nee ******, wife of John ****** who was absent from this country for the period of over 300 days prior to the birth of the said child.
Name of Parish ****** Country ******

----------

Have any of you seen such notes written on a birth certificate ?

Also, who do you think would inform the Registry Office of such happening ?

ET in the USA
18-11-2007, 1:04 AM
I assume by 'note' you mean something handwritten ? Otherwise, the cert. tells who the informant was. Never seen anything handwritten. Since she isn't naming her husband as the father, maybe as a 'married' women she had to explain to the registrar why they shouldn't put in his name as father. I understand that a women couldn't name a man as the father without his consent/having him present, unless they were married.

My 2nd guess would be the husband or his mother .:D

Peter Goodey
18-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Any particular country?

Rove
18-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Peter G. The country was part of the old British Empire.

The name of the Parish is in the 'note'. So, I take it it was added by the Parish. What is a bit puzzling is that the family lived next door to this church. Which makes you think the priests knew what was going on next door.

I was told that in another certificate issued by the same Parish (the other was from the PRO) the name of this person was written like this :

First name : English name
Second name : a very rare Spanish name
Surname : English name

It was an English family living out of England. The mother had an English surname.

Colin Moretti
18-11-2007, 6:30 PM
It wasn't a certificate from England or Wales then, I take it; those country's certificates make no provision for such additional information. The only information that can be added post-registration, I believe, is any extra or changed forenames (eg from baptism) - see Barbara Dixon's website. Interestingly, she doesn't say who can supply this extra information, is it just the person making the original registration or any eligible informant?

Was it birth or a baptism certificate? I can understand such information appearing on the latter.

Colin

Rove
19-11-2007, 1:25 AM
It is a birth certtificate.

I had to refrain from showing names and country. The person on the cert is a very distant relative of mine. The person who sent me a copy of this cert is someoe I know and could be a member here. So I felt its better this way.

I have never seen such notes on a certificate.

Thanks.