PDA

View Full Version : OPIE & DEVONSHIRE South Australia

ChristineR
16-11-2007, 2:50 AM
I would love to have the birth regs for the children.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23418

Taking up the thread here, from Exeter, since we are now into Australia.

Births, South Australia
father: Edward Andrew OPIE, mother Mary Jane DEVONSHIRE

Annie, 17 July 1849, Adelaide,
District: Ade Book: 2 Page: 179

Elizabeth Jane, 26 May 1851, Adelaide
Ade, 3, 219

Harriet Winn, 22 Oct 1853, Adelaide
Ade, 4, 231

Deaths: South Australia

Annie OPIE, died 28 July 1893, aged 49 yrs, married
Relative: Edward Andrew Devonshire OPIE - husband
residence and death place: Kensington
Dist: Now Book: 211 Page: 357

Constance OPIE, died 23 Nov 1886, 3 m, child - dau of Edward A D OPIE
same residence as above
Nor, 159, 83

another daughter
Jessie, died 3 Dec 1896, aged 3m, Child, at Kensington
Nor, 239, 295

Mary Emily OPIE, died 15 Jan 1850, aged 3 yrs 6 m, residence Adelaide
Relative, Edward Andrew OPIE
Ade, 1, 204

Sarah OPIE, died 27 April 1889, aged 58
relative - Edward OPIE, husband
residence and death place - Parkside
Nor, (Norwood) Symbol H, Book: 178, Page: 252

South Australia - marriages

Edward Andrew OPIE, aged 21, (father: Edward Andrew OPIE) married
20 NOv 1860, Sarah ANTHONY, 25, (Richard ANTHONY)
Place: Res of Mr Orr, Goolwa
Dist: EnB Book/Page 44/169

Edward Andrew Devonshire OPIE, widow, 45, (Edwd Andrew OPIE) married
4 May 1889, Annie MELLOR, S, 45 (Mitchell John MELLOR)
Place: Trinity Church, Adelaide
Ade, 159/1108

and again..
Edward Andrew Devonshire OPIE, widow, aged 50 married 7 March 1894
Martha COUZENS, s, 30 (Henry COUZENS)
Zion Chapel Adelaide
Ade, 178/878

3 of his kids marriages also here -
Norwood Wynne married Edith May Quinnell 11 Dec 1903
Edward Campbell married Florence North 25 Feb 1909
Annie Mary married Robert Candy 10 Feb 1902

Christine

ChristineR
16-11-2007, 3:04 AM
Birth, 23 Jul 1843 , Launceston, Tasmania 1559/1843 RGD 33
Name not recorded, Male
father: Edward Andrew OPIE
mother: Mary DEVONSHIRE

That is the only registration for Edward. Yes, it did say Mary.

There is a John Opie and a Catherine Hoskin/g having kids.
Also a Thomas Opie and Elizabeth Jane Hoskin/g.
Most of their kids seem to have died as infants.

Christine

ChristineR
16-11-2007, 3:19 AM
No sign of them in Victoria

Some DEVONSHIRE lasses having kids, husband's surname in brackets - Anna Maria (Hobson), Harriet Wynne (Stamp), and Augusta Bessie (Tadgell)

Christine. :)

JJOP
18-11-2007, 1:00 PM
thanks Christine for all that info. I googled on Internet Explorer & came up with three references, art site, the ships passenger lists, & a family tree site by Nicko.According to a book "Dictionary of Aust Artists"edt by Joan Kerr, Edward Andrew spent quite a lot of time in Victoria, involved in theatre. She says he had a daughter, Mary Ellen Andrews,born in Melbourne 1846, & dying in 1850, although she doesn't say where,but probably in Adelaide, as by then he was back there. Apparently he died in Melbourne on 31 October 1879, according to a book, "South Australian records prior to 1841", by his son E.A.D. The Edward Campbell who married Florence North is my husband's grandfather.
Jenny

ChristineR
19-11-2007, 4:25 AM
....According to a book "Dictionary of Aust Artists"edt by Joan Kerr, Edward Andrew spent quite a lot of time in Victoria, involved in theatre. She says he had a daughter, Mary Ellen Andrews,born in Melbourne 1846, & dying in 1850, although she doesn't say where,but probably in Adelaide, as by then he was back there....

would she be this one? (posted above in the deaths) Age fits your dates.
No baptism shows up in Victoria.

Mary Emily OPIE, died 15 Jan 1850, aged 3 yrs 6 m, residence Adelaide
Relative, Edward Andrew OPIE
Ade, 1, 204

Apparently he died in Melbourne on 31 October 1879

Just noticed the death (burial record) of a 1 month old at Geelong, Vic
Edward A OPIE, no parents listed, 1852 Christ Church,Geelong - Church of England reg: 24475

Here we go, another Edward OPIE too, one born Cornwall. Also one married Elizabeth MATHER in 1857.

Edward OPIE, died Victoria, 1879, aged 70, born Devonshire
reg:11148, parents unknown

Do you have Mary Jane's death?

ChristineR

JJOP
19-11-2007, 6:08 AM
Mary Jane died 16 July 1901, aged 85 years. Apparently the marriage broke up & she married an Archibald Eliot, date unknown

JJOP
19-11-2007, 6:13 AM
Mary Emily OPIE, died 15 Jan 1850, aged 3 yrs 6 m, residence Adelaide I would presume that this child would be one and the same. The editor of the book does have some info that is a little incorrect, so its possible that a third name has been added to the child, & not registered

JJOP
19-11-2007, 6:18 AM
Do you have cds relating to births, deaths & marriages for some states of Australia?

ChristineR
19-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Do you have cds relating to births, deaths & marriages for some states of Australia?

yes :) SA & Victoria

WA, NSW and Qld are now online for free searching, and I think the Tasmania cd is the same as the database online too.

from the SA marriage index 1842-1916
Archibald ELLIOT married Mary Jane OPIE, 20th Aug 1862, at the Residence of Edward OPIE, Adelaide
Reference no: Ade 51/62
Both of full age, the Groom's marital status not recorded, but Mary Jane said she was single.
Fathers: Mark ELLIOT, John OPIE

So, if this is she, then she is telling fibs then? her father had to be an OPIE if she was making out she was single.

Christine

edit: or the person filling out the register just did not fill it out right.

JJOP
20-11-2007, 1:15 AM
The other family name I'm trying to research is my maternal g.mother Florence Loose, an interesting lady!( this one did tell fibs!!) All I have is my mother's birth certificate (born 3/11/1912), naming parents as Florence Loose 22yrs from Brancaster Strathe(which is in England) and Arthur Spencer Harvey(alias Harvie, alias de Harvie), 34yrs from Nelson N.Z., married 1911. I have no info on where they married, or when she died. My mother(died Feb 2001) always said that her mother died when she (mum that is) was 16, which would have been around 1928/29. There apparently is no record at registrar of bmd under the name Harvey, but I didn't think to check under maiden name, or the name of a defacto, Back. Can you help?

ChristineR
20-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Sorry, cannot help you with Florence, the SA cd I have only goes to 1915/1916 with marriages and deaths, 1906 with births. I can tell you that Florence and Arthur did not marry in Victoria or SA before the birth of your mum. I also checked for LUCE and LOSE but I could not think of other spellings.

You could try posting a new thread and someone with later SA cds might be able to find her death.

By the way, the more I think about that Mary Jane OPIE marriage, the less that I think it is the divorced wife of Edward. I think she really might be the single daughter of John OPIE, married at Edward's residence. If it was Mary Jane's residence it would have said so - the residence of the bride or some such. Her son Edward was only about 18.

cheers
Christine

JJOP
20-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks Christine for all your help. I'm not at all surprised that you didn't find anything, (although I guess I was hoping that you might have found a marriage,just to prove that everything she told my mum wasn't a fib); however there are other states
Jenny (JJOP)

CJC42
08-01-2008, 2:11 PM
yes :) SA & Victoria

WA, NSW and Qld are now online for free searching, and I think the Tasmania cd is the same as the database online too.

from the SA marriage index 1842-1916
Archibald ELLIOT married Mary Jane OPIE, 20th Aug 1862, at the Residence of Edward OPIE, Adelaide
Reference no: Ade 51/62
Both of full age, the Groom's marital status not recorded, but Mary Jane said she was single.
Fathers: Mark ELLIOT, John OPIE

So, if this is she, then she is telling fibs then? her father had to be an OPIE if she was making out she was single.

Christine

edit: or the person filling out the register just did not fill it out right.
I am not sure if I indicated properly with my last message. I am CJC42. This is fascinating
information. Iwait to see more.

ChristineR
09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
I am not sure if I indicated properly with my last message. I am CJC42. This is fascinating
information. Iwait to see more.

That is fine - everyone is automatically named to the top left of the posting. I saw your other post on JJOP's other thread about this family.

I'm not sure if this thread will go any further unless JJOP updates it with new findings.

ChristineR

JJOP
11-01-2008, 11:12 AM
That is fine - everyone is automatically named to the top left of the posting. I saw your other post on JJOP's other thread about this family.

I'm not sure if this thread will go any further unless JJOP updates it with new findings.

ChristineR
Am currently on holidays, will be back on my proper computer next week, will add more then
Jenny

DENNYANN
14-01-2008, 2:31 PM
hi
I am researching my Cornwall family Opie's but know they did go to Australia at some point. I have as far back as 1805 and Bennett Opie (I think he died in Australia) I am now getting my tree so far off genes reunited and will post all I know tomorrow on here
Deeann

DENNYANN
14-01-2008, 2:40 PM
Further, we are somewhere related to Leyton hewitt (tennis player) what a claim to fame !! lol
also my gg grandmother was Martha Andrew(s) I have noticed the name Andrew on the forum - same??

JJOP
18-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi CJC42,
Several members of the Devonshire family emigrated to Australia along with Charles and his family; sisters Elizabeth, Ann, and husbands and Mary Jane who married Edward Opie, on the D'Auvergne, arriving in Adelaide in about March 1839.
I have just started reading a book "The Devonshires From Cornwall" by Pamela R Chismon, who has done a lot of research. I believe she still has copies if you are interested in buying a copy
Replied also in Devon- forum-I wasn't concentrating

JJOP
24-01-2008, 11:20 AM
An Update for those that are very helpful:
According to the book "The Devonshires from Cornwall" Mary Jane did marry Archibald Elliot, in 1862, believing that her first husband, Edward Opie, had died in Victoria. However their son discovered that he was ill & back in England, so he travelled back to England in about 1872/1874 and brought the father back with him; where upon Mary separated from Archibald and nursed Edward until he regained some semblance of health, & returned to Melbourne, where he died in 1879! According to the book, there seems to have been no more contact with Archibald Eliott.
I think there might have been a mistake in the writing up of the marriage record; Mary"s father was a John; but Devonshire not Opie

CJC42
29-01-2008, 3:50 AM
An Update for those that are very helpful:
According to the book "The Devonshires from Cornwall" Mary Jane did marry Archibald Elliot, in 1862, believing that her first husband, Edward Opie, had died in Victoria. However their son discovered that he was ill & back in England, so he travelled back to England in about 1872/1874 and brought the father back with him; where upon Mary separated from Archibald and nursed Edward until he regained some semblance of health, & returned to Melbourne, where he died in 1879! According to the book, there seems to have been no more contact with Archibald Eliott.
I think there might have been a mistake in the writing up of the marriage record; Mary"s father was a John; but Devonshire not Opie
I am not sure if you got my last message. Mary"s father was John Devonshire & mother was Ann Win m 18/6/1805. He was my gggGrandfather.
I am keen to purchase the book " The Devonshires from Cornwall"
Regards
CJC42

JJOP
30-01-2008, 1:40 AM
I am not sure if you got my last message. Mary"s father was John Devonshire & mother was Ann Win m 18/6/1805. He was my gggGrandfather.
I am keen to purchase the book " The Devonshires from Cornwall"
Regards
CJC42

Hi CJC42
Mary is my husband's gggrandmother! The book traces the life of Charles(mElizabeth Rashleigh); Elizabeth (mWilliam Perkins); Ann (mRobert Denford); Mary Jane (mEdward Opie) with a history of earlier Devonshires.

CJC42
31-01-2008, 3:17 AM
Hi CJC42
Mary is my husband's gggrandmother! The book traces the life of Charles(mElizabeth Rashleigh); Elizabeth (mWilliam Perkins); Ann (mRobert Denford); Mary Jane (mEdward Opie) with a history of earlier Devonshires.
Hi JJOP
Charles & Elizabeth were my ggggrandparents. Their son was Frederick Augustus(m Margaret Spear 1981). Their son was Alfred Rashleigh(m Laura Cambell Collis ) my grandparents .
I have writen to Pamela Chismon for her book.
Very interesting.

JJOP
02-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi CJC42,
Which line of Opie's are you looking into?

CJC42
03-02-2008, 2:28 AM
Hi CJC42,
Which line of Opie's are you looking into?
Hi JJOP
I am not sure.
I wonder if Francis Opie & Edward Andrew Opie arriving on D'Auvergne were related?
Our Lisa Opie's father talkes about their John Opie connection & S.A.. He is also chasing up some infomation he has.
I am still waiting to hear from P Chismon.

JJOP
05-02-2008, 4:07 AM
"Francis Opie & Edward Andrew Opie arriving on D'Auvergne"
Hi CJC42
One could assume that they might be related, however I'm not sure where yet. We have a copy of Edward's marriage certificate which gives his father as Richard, artist. My contact in England gives the mother as Agnes Andrew.As yet haven't found a Francis.
That story about being related to John Opie has been around in my husband's family for years too, but as yet no-one has been able to join the dots.Altho' married twice John doesn't appear to have had any chidren

suenicholson117
14-03-2014, 8:29 PM
Hello
Just find out that in my tree Francis Opie/Oppy b 1809 emigrated to Australia on vessel d'auvergine 1893, which was on same vessel as Edward Andrew Opie & his wife Mary Jane( nee Devonshire). Which are mentioned in your thread.
Look forward to hearing more.
thanks Sue Nicholson

ChristineR
15-03-2014, 1:02 AM
Hi Sue,
(just responding to your PM here, too)

South Australian BDMs and some other stuff are searchable online at this website. (free)
http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

Newspapers can be found here. (free)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Have a good old fossick there and you can come up with lots of information. Just a matter of sorting out the different people with the same name!

When you have specific questions, it might best to begin a new thread for Francis, this one is from 2008.
Have fun. :)

suenicholson117
15-03-2014, 9:20 AM
Hi Christine
Thank you for your pm and details.
Will have a look at the links, thanks for these.
Cheers
Sue