PDA

View Full Version : Marriage in Queensland

Brian Turnbull
14-11-2007, 4:28 AM
I have the marriage certificate for maternal ggrandparents who were married 6 dec 1872 at Stanthorpe in Qld. The certificate says they were married at the Cross Road Hotel near Stanthorpe.Both gave their residence as Ruby Creek.
I have no idea when either of them came to Australia or where they may have landed. My ggrandfather was William James Robinson who said he was 26 at the time of marriage and came from Enniskillen, Fermanagh. Father Richard Robinson, mother Jane Wilson. My ggrandmother was Mary Ann Tiquin (Tyquin) and came from Banagher,Kings County (Offaly), father Pat Tiquin, mother Mary Ann Madden. She gave her age as 21 at marriage and this is roughly correct with a death age in 1912 as 60.
Any clues as to where I might look for a record of their arrival will be appreciated.
Brian

ChristineR
14-11-2007, 5:01 AM
It appears that your young lass may have told fibs about her age, else she would have needed permission to marry. This might be her, it was not uncommon for girls to marry quickly after arrival. Another spelling for you!

Mary A TIGUIN, aged 16, arrived 1 July 1872 on the 'Indus'

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.asp#immigrationindexes

I did not look for your Robinson chap.

ChristineR :)

Brian Turnbull
14-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your reply Christine. It looks as if this could be her (or she). Mary A could be economical with the truth it seems.The William Robinson is a bit more of a problem as there are lots of them in the index and I have no way of knowing when he may have arrived or if in fact he came to Qld. first. There is a story that he may have been in W.A. and Sth. Aust. But I can find nothing in the Sth. Aust. info.
Brian

HelenVSmith
14-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Brian

It is worth getting his death certificate as they often in the earlier years stated how long the person had been in the colony and if they had been in another "state" first. Of course this is dependent on the fact of the informant actually knowing this but I have been pretty lucky.

Also if he lived or died in a smaller town check the paper for an obituary particularly if he had been an early resdient of the town.

Sometimes in fact there are lovely articles while they are still alive due to a special wedding anniversary, special age (my g-grandfather had an article in a main Brisbane paper when he turned 90)

Check with the local historical society if it was a smaller place as they ahve often indexed the papers for teh usual BDMs but also human interest articles.

Regards
Helen

Brian Turnbull
15-11-2007, 6:57 AM
Helen, Thanks for your input. I have her death certificate, the informant was a son.He gave her age as 60 in 1912 which would make her birth 1852 and she gave her age as 21 in 1872 on the marriage certificate which would make the birth year 1851, so about right. She may have been only 16 at marriage and continued this fiction through.Although he did say she was 17 at her marriage.
The son didn't know where she was born, only that it was Ireland. He didn't know her parents names and also said they were married in Tenterfield N.S.W. He said his mother had lived 4 years in Qld; 9 years in Sth. Aust; 1 year in W.A. and 30 years in N.S.W., but there is no guarantee that the order is correct.The total of these years leaves a big gap as well. He also said she was married, but in fact her husband died in 1908. He gave her occupation as a blacksmith, which I doubt.The son may have been in the grip of the grape when he gave the information.
Brian

ChristineR
15-11-2007, 7:23 AM
9 years in Sth. Aust;

Did they have a son called Archibald?

12 Dec 1877 Archibald ROBINSON was born Mundoora, SA
father: William
mother: Mary Ann TEGUE
Dist: Dal Book: 196 Page: 173

(There is not a marriage in SA for a couple with those names, nor other children's birth regs)

ChristineR
15-11-2007, 7:34 AM
4 years in Qld; 9 years in Sth. Aust; 1 year in W.A. and 30 years in N.S.W., but there is no guarantee that the order is correct.The total of these years leaves a big gap as well.

That adds up to 44 years in the colony - which, if she was stated to be 60 years old when she died, gives an arrival date of about 16 years of age. He probably knows that she married soon after arrival, by then she must have been 17.

But it must have rattled him doing all this thinking and calculating, to say his mum was a blacksmith!

HelenVSmith
15-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi

It would not have been impossible for her to have been working as a blacksmith (yes it would be unusual). Especially if that had been her husband's trade and he had died. I had one of my partner's grandmothers who continued the trade after her husband had died but was doing small stuff not the bigger stuff.

Helen

ChristineR
16-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi

It would not have been impossible for her to have been working as a blacksmith (yes it would be unusual). Especially if that had been her husband's trade and he had died. I had one of my partner's grandmothers who continued the trade after her husband had died but was doing small stuff not the bigger stuff.

Helen

Thanks for that Helen, even if she employed someone to do the work, she would still be in the Blacksmith business. All in the interpretation, must remember that!

Christine :)

Brian Turnbull
16-11-2007, 5:39 AM
Thanks Christine for that bit on Archibald, I have just seen it and wondered at the mothers name spelling, but I have seen wrong spellings in S.A records before, so I think it might be ok.

Helen, Mary Ann's husband was working as a miner at the time of his death. He had been a publican at various times previous to that which I remember my grandmother talking about, but never a blacksmith.
Brian