PDA

View Full Version : Ink Maker

Jfremont
01-12-2004, 3:57 AM
My g grandfather and his brother were Inkmakers in London from about 1850 to 1910. I understood that one or both had a factory of some sort but have been unable to identify it from any of the directories I have checked. Does anyone know whether there was association or guild regarding ink manufacturing?
Thanks, John

Geoffers
01-12-2004, 8:55 AM
My g grandfather and his brother were Inkmakers in London from about 1850 to 1910. I understood that one or both had a factory of some sort but have been unable to identify it from any of the directories I have checked. Does anyone know whether there was association or guild regarding ink manufacturing?
Thanks, John
No Guild of which I'm aware.

The nearest to it might be the Worshipful Company of Scriveners.
or the The Stationers' and Newspaper Makers' Company

Bearing in mind that ink is associated with each, they may be able to suggest somewhere you can try?

Could their factory have made other items and so be listed in directories under those - e.g. pens - or even paints? Thinking of which, there is a company of Painter Stainers'
Sorry, can't think of owt else offhand
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Jfremont
01-12-2004, 7:23 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I will check them out. I believe they may have been involved in stationary supplies as well, but inkmaker shows up as their main occupation.