PDA

View Full Version : Dock Gateman in Liverpool

pinksunbird
13-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know what a Dock Gateman is? My great-great grandfather is on all of the Censuses in Liverpool (1851 to 1891), and lists his occupation as a dock gateman. Would he have still given that as his occupation, even if he had retired? Or would he have retired? :confused: In the 1891 census, he was 76, and still lists this as his occupation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards, Anne

Wirral
13-11-2007, 10:24 AM
My grandfather died in an accident on the docks when he was still working at the age of 77. :(
I think a dock gate man worked the lock gates between the river & the docks.

birdlip
13-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi there,

a "gater" was a watchman. I presume your fellow was a type of security guard. There would be ships lying at anchor and valuable goods stored in warehouses at the docks.

In those days not too many working people had the luxury of retiring, what would they live on? Becoming too frail or ill to work was no doubt a constant concern. Unless there was a family member willing, or able to take on the care of an elderly person, they would end up in the workhouse.

regards birdlip

hughar
13-11-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.ephotozine.com/photolocations/469/Liverpool-Docks describes a walk along the Dock road, and explains that the docks were behind a high wall which had gates into each dock. So he may have been the gatekeeper at one of these sets of gates, checking people, goods and vehicles going in and out of the dock.