PDA

View Full Version : IGI Marriage - Deptford

Mutley
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
The marriage of Mary Ann Selby and Thomas Gussin is on the IGI.

It was at St. Pauls, Deptford, Kent on 27th March 1873. Batch No. M006301.

I would love to know if her father is Thomas (mother Mary Ann) and his father is William (mother Jane).

Is that possible at all?

I do not have an FHS in reasonable travelling distance from here.

Ken Boyce
13-11-2007, 5:18 AM
Hi Mutley

If we make some assumptions

Bride & Groom are youngest children of parents then latest that parents married c1873 – 20yrs say c1855

Bride & Groom are eldest children of parents then earliest that parents married c1873 – 20 - 15yrs say c1840 (large family)

Then we are looking for a birth /christening of bride and/or groom between c1840-c1855 and marriage of parents between similar dates (Check GRO Index)

If both parent families lived in same Deptford parish then parent marriages could be given in M006301 (1730-1882) or in E006301 and the christenings of the bride and groom which would list the mothers and/or fathers could be given in E006301 if not then search the open IGI for fathers and mothers married within those dates or Chistenings of bride & groom between the same dates

You may already have some of the GRO crosscheck data as the dates of interest are post 1837 (The parents marriage MUST have the same GRO Ref)
Hope my logic is correct my mind works faster than I can type
Regards

Andrew Mead
13-11-2007, 6:57 AM
Here's the FreeBMD entry, so you should be able to get the marriage certificate and this should confirm fathers' names

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1873 (>99%)
GUSSIN James Thomas Greenwich 1d 837
Selby Mary Ann Greenwich 1d 837

If you want someone to do a lookup in the parish registers, then the Kent forum would be better.

Peter Goodey
13-11-2007, 12:08 PM
The parish registers are at the LMA which is closed until the new year. If you can't use the Mormons, you'd be best off ordering the certificate.

Mutley
13-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

I have already posted a thread on this subject but it became so complicated I did not really get any replies. I thought maybe I could break it down into smaller questions.
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23263&highlight=grimsby

I already have a marriage certificate for my Mary Ann married to another man and know who her family are. I have now found this previous marriage to a James Gussin and I was hoping that I could get out of buying a second certificate.

However, if I want to prove bigamy, I suspect I have no choice.;)

Thanks again.

Ken Boyce
13-11-2007, 4:15 PM
I noticed that in your previous posting the brides first husband is listed as a mariner If he was presumed lost at sea (or he just disappeared) then I believe it was common practice in England to permit women to re-marriage 4-5 yrs after disappearence of a spouse.
I suggest re-checking her 2nd marriage cert to see if there is anything odd - were banns called, by license, surname formally nee etc

Anyone care to comment

Mutley
13-11-2007, 6:54 PM
Thank you for looking Ken.

It is on the 1871 census she says she is married to a mariner but is using her maiden name and the condition is unmarried.

In 1873 there is this marriage to James Gussin (a fisherman) that I don't know if it is her or not.

In 1888 on her marriage certificate to Hugh Masterton (a fisherman) she is a spinster using her maiden name.

In 1894 (witness to mother's death) and the 1891 census she is Masterton.

In 1901 she is Gussin with a son called James Gussin.

I do not know which marriage is her first, second or maybe third:confused: