PDA

View Full Version : Todd family

Gillian
12-11-2007, 1:28 AM
Hi

I am searching for family members of Robert and Marion Todd who left Glasgow Scotland in the late 50's early 60's with their children for a new life in Australia.

Thanks
Gill

Trish
12-11-2007, 2:25 AM
Was Robert a baker, born about 1831, with children James, Marion, Thomas and Robert?

Trish

birdlip
12-11-2007, 3:34 AM
I think Gillian may mean 1950/60, can you clarify please Gillian?

regards birdlip

Gillian
12-11-2007, 5:37 AM
Hi
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear (new to all this) yes I did mean 1950's 1960's
Thanks
Gill

birdlip
12-11-2007, 9:10 AM
Hi Gill,

not a problem... just didn't want people spending time looking in the 19th century for you, if thats not what you were needing!

There are lots of possibilities for finding your Todds; electoral rolls, Telephone Directory White Pages etc. Do you know the names of any of the children, or approximate ages?...any idea where they landed?.. did they come out on the 10 pound scheme?..were they sponsored by a relative or friend?...Roberts occupation?

If there is ANY other information you can add, it may help a lot. Robert and Marion may have died by now; so in particular, if you know the names of any of the children, it could be very helpful.

regards, birdlip

Gillian
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi birdlip

Robert & Marion died years ago I know that they had 4 children Robert,Eileen and 2 others when they came to Australia. I think Bobby Todd worked for the RAF but I don't know much else as when my grandpa died and he did contact with our family was lost.

I have since written to every Todd in the Sydney phone book (all 250 of them) I also placed an ad in the Daily Telegraph looking for anyone connected to them but still no luck.

I also went into the library in Sydney to see if they could help me but they have no records for people who came over in the 1960's, other than that I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for your help

Gill

ChristineR
13-11-2007, 1:10 AM
Try the National Archives - this page is their "Making Australia Home" page.
http://www.naa.gov.au/services/making-australia-home/index.aspx

Records more than 30 years old are available for purchase, including British migrants after WW11.

Plenty of information sheets.

ChristineR :)

Gillian
13-11-2007, 5:13 AM
Hi Christine

Thanks for that

I'll let you know how I get on

Gill