PDA

View Full Version : Birkenhead- Murphy& Cassidy relations.

Irishgirl
11-11-2007, 5:51 AM
Trying to track down my lost relatives. My mother's maiden name was Bridget Mc Donald from Co Armagh . She married Patrick O'Hanlon and moved to Sydney, Australia where I was born. My parents both died before I was 16 and I have been following dead ends ever since. I think they may have also married in Birkenhead around 1923.
Looking for
James (Jim) Murphy m Maggie (Margaret?) Mc Donald both from Co Armagh Ireland Living in Birkenhead 1940s -1950's Two children -Micheal ( who served in Royal Navy late 1940's) and Maria. Both children were possibly born in Birkenhead.

Sister of Maggie was Minnie ( Mary?) Mc Donald also born Co Armagh, Ireland was married to Frank Cassidy one daughter Mary who was in late teens in late 1940s.
Both families lived in the same street in Birkenhead.
Any information or ideas as to where to continue to look for these relatives
would be appreciated

Wirral
11-11-2007, 9:54 PM
Hi Irishgirl
Welcome to the forum. :)
Have you tried the newspapers? I suggest you contact the local papers. The Liverpool Echo covers the Wirral & the free local ones are the Wirral Globe & the Wallasey/Birkenhead News. Look at www.icwirral.co.uk (http://www.icwirral.co.uk/) & www.icliverpool.co.uk (http://www.icliverpool.co.uk/) & www.wirralglobe.co.uk (http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk) The Echo has a section every Saturday with family history, people looking for lost relatives, old photos, etc.
Where did the family live in Birkenhead? Have you looked in the General Register Office (GRO) Index for the marriage of your mother or her siblings? When did your parents move to Australia?

Wirral
11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Your parents' marriage is listed on www.cheshirebmd.org.uk (http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk) You can get a copy of the certificate via that site. It won't say where they are from, but will give the names & occupations of their fathers. Also has the marriage of Margaret & James Murphy. I can't find the other marriage, but CheshireBMD is not complete yet.
By the way, it may be an idea to delete the thread you started in the Certificates forum. It gets confusing if there are 2 identical threads. I find it is best to post in the place/county forum first, like this thread.

Irishgirl
12-11-2007, 1:29 AM
Wirral, Thank you for all the effort you have devoted to helping me. I have spent considerable time searching Genealogy.com, Ancestory.com and several others but have discovered very little. I found this site whilst following threads on another and in desperation decided to "give it a go." I will follow the leads you have suggested with renewed hope.
Since my parents were considerably older than those of my peers I suspect that their siblings are probably deceased. My Dad served in WW1 and possibly moved to Australia soon after his marriage in 1923. However the fact that he spent his working career as a merchant seaman leaves numerous possibilities as to the timing of his relocation to Sydney. I suspect that I may have had older siblings who died before my birth, (over 20 years and another World War later, ) but that is purely an assumption based on the fact that Mum was over 40 when I arrived. Still it gives me another area of research when I become bored.
Thank you once again for your valuable contributions.

CassieK
05-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi Irishgirl

I wonder if the following death registration may be a sibling
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/
11084/1948
O'HANLON Kathleen Madeline
Father Patrick
Mother Bridget
District Ashfield

Cheers
Cassie

vmarthur
21-03-2008, 9:24 PM
Hi Irishgirl,
I too am new to this site, and find it fascinating.
My grandmothers maiden name was Sarah O'hanlon. Co Armagh.(I have not been able to trace the family. My info is from my mother before she died, 10 years ago age 86)
Anyway my Mum had cousins living in Birkenhead (O 'hanlons) when I was young. I guess around 1950/60.
One was definitely a Terry O'hanlon. Whom I recall returned to Ireland about 1960.
Although Birkenhead seems quite large these days, in the 1950s, all the irish folk seemed to live in the same areas. I have a cousin still living there, next time we meet I will see if she remembers your folk.
Happy Easter

V

Posiemo
29-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi Irishgirl,

I am part of the family you have been searching for. My grandmother was Eva Ellen McDonald and she was the sister of your mother Bridget. Eva or Evelyn as she was known was born in County Armagh.

Maggie and Minnie are my dad's Aunts although they are long dead.

My dad is Michael, who served in the Royal Navy and his mother was Eva McDonald.

My dad told me that Bridget's daughter went to live in America after her mother died in Australia is that correct.

Hope to hear from you further.

Posiemo

Irishgirl
30-11-2013, 8:58 PM
Hi,
Your reply has both excited and confused as it contained both known information and some I did not have. So that we can establish the link could you email me at trishinparisATyahooDOTcom so we can continue to verify and work out the various family links. I have photos taken in Birkenhead with my cousins Michael and Mary during the 1950s before coming to Australia to live. Both my parents, Patrick and Bridget O'Hanlon died before I was 16 and are buried in Sydney. With no family here I lost touch with my relatives in Birkenhead. Hopefully we can now re-connect. Regards, Trish