PDA

View Full Version : PETTIT, Robert - Marriage?

Gillian57
10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Can anyone help with this mystery?

My three times great grandfather Robert Pettit, a bricklayer, born in Finchingfield, Essex in 1779, lived in Hackney in the early 1800s and had five known children. These children are: James (b 1805), Susanna (baptised 1807), Harriet (baptised 1809), the latter two at St Johns Hackney, then George (b 1814) and Stephen (b 1816).

What I am unable to confirm is a marriage for Robert at the right time. My friend posted a query recently on this forum and Anna came up with Susanna and Harriet's baptisms at St Johns Hackney, but no mother listed.

I did find two marriages on IGI for a Robert Pettit in 1825 to Douglas Hughes and in 1835 to Martha Bolt. I cannot link either of these two potential names as mothers to any of the above children.

What I would dearly love to find out is who is the mother of these children? Grateful for any help with this. |help|

Thanks

Gillian

Jan1954
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Found on the IGI:

Robert Pettit to ANN CARPENTER 05 OCT 1801 Saint Mary, St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone, London

This may fit better with James' birth (abt 1805) but opens up the possibility of there being more children before him.

Or maybe it's not your Robert at all... |banghead|

Jan

Gillian57
18-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Jan,

Thank you.

Ann Carpenter is a new possible wife for Robert Pettit and I've been mulling over this for the past week and wondering if anyone on the site has access to the records from St Mary, St Marylebone and can tell me any more about this marriage. Timewise it would fit, but I need to know a little more information to be able to connect with my ancestor. Location wise I had thought that his marriage would have been in Hackney, but this of course may not be the case.

Grateful if anyone can help with this.

Gill
|help|