PDA

View Full Version : Are the spammers on holiday

Neil Wilson
10-11-2007, 4:12 PM
Just a thought, but for the last couple of days I have actually been receiving more actual emails than my ISP filtered out into my spam folder.

MarkJ
10-11-2007, 4:15 PM
Don't think they are Neil :(
I rarely see any spam on my main accounts as they go through my server which has my own spam filtering rules added. The one account I have which goes via my ISPs alleged mail filtering still gets some spam though.

Mark

ET in the USA
10-11-2007, 5:14 PM
Maybe they are just working on a new recruiting class |laugh1|

It seems like the spam comes in batches, all the same for a period of time, like 'someone' taught a new trick and 10 people try it all at once.
Seems like spam would be more effective if you didn't get 10 emails all at once with no subject and from people you don't know, then a week later you get 10 emails with subjects like " jhsqmdokhf" from people you don't know.

Guess I don't have the right mind set to be a spammer, but how stupid do they think we are to fall for 10 all the same ? Maybe I'm missing the point, which is .....|help| ?? what ? send plenty and 1 might accidentally get opened ?

As I said, I'm a Virgo and they probably don't make good spammers.

get2BJ
15-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi all,

An interesting programme went out on Thursday last (13 Dec 07 - 8pm) on BBC Radio 4 -The Investigation, which explored the sources of spam email. If you have a spare 30 minutes you can listen again by using this link and scrolling down the alphabetical list to: Investigation, The - Listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/atoz/index.shtml#i

I knew this kind of operation was far reaching but it seems to be unstoppable - I don't know how we haven't reached meltdown with the millions and millions of the things that are sent around the world daily.|banghead||computer|

Brenda

MarkJ
15-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I listened to it when broadcast - an interesting broadcast which would be a real eye opener for those who are not conversant with the practices of spammers. One or two "hmmm...." moments in it I thought, but in the main, a good broadcast. Shame it was hidden away on Radio4 - although the Beeb website also had a write up on the program with some of the details.

The real problem isn't so much the spammers but the fools who actually buy stuff from spam emails. I can understand how the occasional person is duped by the phishing mails asking for bank details, or even the old 419 scams where someone claims to have billions of dollars to get out of some country on behalf of a widow or whatever. But why anyone would buy prescription drugs or "herbal enhancements" from a dodgy sounding company who are using spammers to attract customers is beyond belief. If they didn't buy, then the spam would soon drop right off.

Mark

suedent
16-12-2007, 12:35 AM
The eBay, Paypal and Bank mails I bin without thought but today I had one from a so called Genealogy Company today, a company I'd never heard of. There was a link to unsubscribe, no way was I clicking the link when I'd never subscribed to their mailing list in the first place!

I use Thunderbird & marked it as spam so hopefully I won't be bothered by any more missives from that source. The trouble is I can see a few people being tempted by their offer - instructions on how to write a family history book.

Mike_E
16-12-2007, 1:31 AM
I maintain a mail gateway for a living, and in the last couple of weeks the spammers have changed the way they create their e-mails, and we have seen a rise in the number getting through the filters. It's an ongoing battle with these (i want to use a strong expletive here) ....I think they should all be put up against a wall and shot!

v.wells
16-12-2007, 3:39 AM
I opened a paypal account a few months ago to pay a researcher at the Met Police Museum and he was legitimate. I waited until he had received the money and then closed the account right away as I had heard things about Paypal security. A few days later I received an email from "Paypal" stating that they were notifying me that someone had tried to access the account and to contact them via email. Since it was already closed I deleted that email. I never open mail that I don't know who it it's from. Occassionaly junk mail gets thru and I just return as spam mail to my ISP.