PDA

View Full Version : Found Crimea War Medal PLEASE HELP!!

01explorerrick
10-11-2007, 2:55 AM
i recently purchased a bag of coins at a auctions only to go home and find a Crimea War medal missing clasp and ribbon. i am highly interested in finding some things about this medal which is in great condition. I am trying to find out the history and who the brave man was who received this medal of honor. There is a inscription on the outer rim of this medal. It reads " PRESENTED BY E C(or G) CONSIDINE TO JH CONSIDIM(or N)E SEPT 1 1901 PRESENTED BY HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA" then some more writing i cannot really make out and then 1870. if any of you can help me out with some info i would greatly appreciate i plan on keeping this item but would really like to know it history! thank you very much!|help|

christanel
11-11-2007, 2:41 AM
I found this by putting Considine Crimean war in to google. Don't know whether it is any use. Lots of stuff came up about the Crimean War

- Major-General James, K.H. - 10th Foot - died 4th September 1845.
Served in the Peninsula (wounded).
Grave at Meerut - "Sacred to the memory of Major General James Considine, K.H. who died at Meerut in command of H.Ms 10th Regt of Foot on the 4th Sept 1845 at the age of 50."

cheers
Christina

neil1821
11-11-2007, 2:08 PM
Hmm, we have a lot of dates floating around here at the moment!

1854-56 Crimean War
1 Sept 1901 on medal
1870? on medal
1845 death of Maj-Gen Considine

I don't recognise the medal from the description. Any chance you can scan it or post a photo of it? What leads you to suspect a Crimean War connection?

01explorerrick
12-11-2007, 3:52 PM
thank you for the help..
well there had got to be a connect as it is a Crimean war medal with queen victoria on the front and a roman soldier on the back...

neil1821
12-11-2007, 4:23 PM
OK,
So it's a British Crimea medal? This one?
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/crimea_medal.htm

Just need to establish that as it still doesn't especially make sense.
Crimean war was of course 1854-1856
Yet you say there's an inscription on it with the date 1 Sept 1901?
I'm not doubting your word but you can see there's still a mystery there.

The other puzzle is the bit about " presented by Her Majesty Queen Victoria"
Queen Victoria was dead by Sept 1901 so just adds to the mystery!!

You say there's more writing you can't make out. Not legible at all?

hughar
12-11-2007, 6:07 PM
A search of FreeBMD for Considine between 1837 and 1901 reveals no male with first initial E. The only JH is John Henry Considine, born Leeds Q1 1870, who might account for part of the engraving, which I suggest was not all done at one time. Search of the censuses between 1851 and 1901 was simmmilarly unsuccessful.

Some decent pictures of the engraving might help us make more of this item?

01explorerrick
13-11-2007, 9:59 PM
Neil1821 it is that medal of which that site is describing as far as i know...
i will start to take many pics of it so maybe you guys can help me...i will post them as soon as i have them done...