PDA

View Full Version : Inn Keeper in Cupar

Ian Turner
08-11-2007, 8:34 PM
I have a relative by name of William Lawson, who at the birth of his son (16 Jun 1797) was listed as an Inn Keeper in Cupar, Fife. Cupar is not a massive place and so I thought it may be possible to track down the public house that he was running. This building may or may not be still in existence. Presumably as a inn keeper he was registered somewhere for licensing purposes etc.

I dont know where to start - any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Ian

hallsworth47
22-11-2007, 3:11 PM
Hi Ian
Im a newbie and dont really know my way round yet so I dont know if you got any reply to your inn keeper question.It seems like mine were publicans in Manchester I have Wondered that too ie registering somewhere Linda

MarkJ
22-11-2007, 3:15 PM
I would think the best place to look would be a directory such as Kellys Trade directories if they were running the pub in the periods covered by those. Ians late 1700's won't be in there, but yours may be Linda if they were in the trade later.

Mark

hallsworth47
22-11-2007, 6:10 PM
HI MARK MY FAMILY DOWN TO 1903 AT LEAST, WERE REGISTRARS DO YOU KNOW WHERE INFO ON THEM IF ANY COULD BE IT SEEMS THEY WERE CHEMISTS PUBLICANS REGISTRARS (IM SURE THERE MUST BE A JOKE IN THERE SOMEWHERE) THANKS LINDA

MarkJ
22-11-2007, 6:18 PM
I would have a look for a copy of trade directories for the area at the time. Not sure what was available in Manchester - perhaps one of the other forum members may be able to help with that. I would imagine that Manchester Central Library would hold copies of all the old trade directories. Perhaps UKSearch or one of the other Manchester based members may be able to comment further on that.
It may be worth posting in the area of the forum which deals with Manchester - that would possibly help, as more people researching the area may be able to assist.

Mark