PDA

View Full Version : st margarets leicester 1713

derek booth
08-11-2007, 2:44 PM
traced one of my ancesters back to 1713 christening at the above address on the igi. it then goes on to say no source information available no additional information available. does this mean the end of the line or may there be data at another source ? thank you derek.

Peter Goodey
08-11-2007, 3:01 PM
Can you please provide enough of a reference for us to look at the entry.

Without being able to see it, it sounds like a patron submission which may or may not be totally worthless.

If you think it's worth chasing up, you need to look at the actual parish registers and check for yourself.

derek booth
09-11-2007, 9:11 AM
thank you for your reply. there are severak entries for this person on the igi just one with any kind of ref no name richard hallam christening 1713 st margarets leicester ref :KWZZ-GT marriage mrs hallam 1738 AFN 1G2J 6GB. thank you derek.

Peter Goodey
09-11-2007, 9:43 AM
I've looked at the IGI. There are 6 records, all patron submissions and all containing the warning words "Of" and "About". This is code for "I haven't got a clue when or where he was born and this is just a guess".

Perhaps it would be as well if you backtracked and told us how far you've got with confirmed details that you've got from actual parish registers (not the IGI) and I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions about a next step.

derek booth
10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
hi thank you very much for that it was very good of you. i hace copies of the transcriptions for st john the baptist whitwick. they are as follows. Baptisms 1601-1699 none Baptisms 1699 - 1812 5.9.1790 thomas hallam s/o richard and ann 1.1.1792 elizabeth hallam d/o richard and ann 20.4.1794 mary hallam d/o/richard and ann 24.1.1796 william hallam s/o richard and ann 8.4.1798 rose hallam d/o richard and ann 21.2.1802 fanny hallam d/o richard and ann 25.12 1803 sarah hallam d/o richard and ann 16.12 1810 charlotte hallam d/o richard and ann Please note that richard hallams wife was ann griffin. Burials 1699-1812 thomas hallam 27.3.1720 Marriages Banns 25.9.1785 joseph hallam otp to jane robinson otp Banns 18.1 1790 richard hallam to ann griffin otp Banns 26.12.1811 john hallam to sarah walker these are the earliest that i can go back with certainty according to the igi the church they used prior was st margarets. thank you again derek

Perriss
15-11-2007, 8:19 AM
I have people in my burial records database with that name, let me know exactly where they lived when you email me and I will have a look for them for you.

If I can help anyone looking for ancestors let me know.

Eileen

derek booth
16-11-2007, 11:36 AM
hi eileen, thank you very much for the offer its very good of you. as i mentioner before the hallam i am trying to trace is richard hallam shows on igi born 1713 st margarets i presume this was whitwick as most of my hallams seem to originate from whitwick marriage to mrs hallam 1727 st margarets mrs hallam born 1717 leicester obviously i have doubts as to the d.o.b with mrs hallam if the marriage dates are correct unable to find richard hallams death perhaps his death record may show some light? regards hilda:confused:

Perriss
16-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi

Sorry but I don't have any records for St. Margaret's, Whitwick, Leicestershire. The only HALLAM family records I have for Leicestershire aren't who you are looking for. The only thing close to your details that I can find and we're out on a little limb here, is:

2 deaths of female HALLAM around the right age:

12 Apr 1795 Ann Hallum aged 67 at All Saints, Marple, Cheshire

and

29 May 1816 Hannah Hallum aged 85 years, St. James, Norton, Derbyshire.

Sorry about that.

Eileen |banghead|

Perriss
16-11-2007, 12:16 PM
How sure are you about the dates of his birth? Because I have a Richard Hallam and family on the 1841 census living in St. Margarets parish, Whitwick, Lincolnshire. But the dates don't work.

Eileen |computer|

Perriss
16-11-2007, 12:20 PM
In fact there are quite a few Richard Hallams living in Leicestershire on the 1841 census.

derek booth
17-11-2007, 11:03 AM
many thanks for all your efforts but my richard hallam is clearly on the igi as d.o.b abt 1713 st margarets leics i know that this is not conclusive apparantly the igi is littered with some mistakes for early ancesters but i do know about the other richard hallams because i have parish transcripts from st john the baptist church whitwick but they start late 17th century i must admit to the fact that he may have been born in another parish but nothing showing on igi still will carry on trying many thanks again regards hilda and derek.

Peter Goodey
17-11-2007, 12:31 PM
my richard hallam is clearly on the igi as d.o.b abt 1713 st margarets leics i know that this is not conclusive

I thought we had disposed of that entry. If you think there's any truth in it, you must check the parish register.

I will be happy to bet that you will not find the baptism of Richard Hallam in 1713 at St Margaret Leicester. But if you do, you'll not only have found an ancestor but have the extra pleasure of proving me wrong.

eileenbrookes
16-08-2008, 3:34 PM
I have Hallam relatives born in Quorndon Leic. and the earliest is Thomas Hallum, spelt with a u, whereas all the others are Hallam, so am assuming it was misspelt. Thomas married an Ann Lovett in quorn in 1819, but I do know that from there, the family moved into the city of Leicester.
I am sure that there is a Richard Hallam, born or lived in Birstall, but can't swear to it. I think Richard Hallam School was named after him. They are not my relatives. At least I don't think they are. Eileen.