PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Merchant

Andreab
07-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I have just obtained the b/c for my mother in law who was adopted/taken in. We know nothing about her really so are groping in the dark a bit. The occupation of her father, according to her b/c is Ivory Merchant. Can anyone shed some light on this? He may have been American (not confirmed). He was in London around 1914. Were there many Ivory merchants around at that time? Did they base their trade in a particular area? Any info on where we can get more info would be much appreciated.
Regards
Andrea

hughar
08-11-2007, 10:40 AM
The Post Office London Trade Directory, 1915, Vol.4 lists 4 Ivory Brokers on page 1439, and 12 Ivory Dealers on page 1682.
You can view the directory online at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/ or I can send you copies of the two pages as attachments by email.
Hugh

Andreab
08-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Hugh
Can't find this directory from the link! Could you send pages via email. I will send a pm with my address.
Regards
Andrea

Geoffers
08-11-2007, 12:26 PM
From the home page of the URL given, click on the link 'Find by location'

Either click on London on the map or

Across on the right of the map is a window with 'Bedfordshire' and 'Find Directories' next to it. Scroll through the list of counties to 'London'

You get a new page showing some directories listed.

These are directories 1 to 10 of 81 found for London

Click on 'next page' twice and you'll get to the 1915 directory. CLcik on the links on the right of the screen to open the pages.

Andreab
08-11-2007, 1:02 PM
Thanks for that. Just printed the pages off. Not sure what I was doing wrong before!
Andrea