PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a mystery...

Jan1954
06-11-2007, 8:03 PM
Jane Milsted was born 28 Oct 1841 in Tenterden, Kent and died 22 Nov 1926 at Oster House, St Albans, Hertfordshire.

I have the following census information:

Census 1851: High Street, Tenterden, Kent aged 9
Census 1861: Southfield House, Tonbridge, Kent, aged 19, House Servant to Robert East, Broker
Census 1871: The Vicarage, Catweazle, Tenterden, aged 28, Domestic Servant

There is a possible sighting of her in 1891: Conholt Park, Chute (?), Wiltshire, Housemaid, but aged 39, when she should be 49. Now, I know that some ages can be a bit out, but I can't think of any reason that this would have been recorded as such, apart from transcription error by the enumerator.

I have no trace of her in 1881 or in 1901 - unless she's taken 20 years off!

By 1903, she is in St Albans, and is recorded in Kelly's Directory as the proprieter of a Laundry. (My great grandfather subsequently bought this from her)

Now, the question is:

If Jane spent her life as a domestic servant, how would she find the dosh to a) purchase a new house at the beginning of the 20th century (they had not long been built), b) run a laundry, as opposed to "taking in washing" and c) why St Albans?

Answers on a postcard.....???

Thanks,

Jan

Wilkes_ml
06-11-2007, 8:25 PM
maybe I've been watching too much Catherine Cookson on TV lately - but maybe she caught the eye of a rich (married?) master who left her loads in a will?:D

I would look into wills to see if she came into money somehow - maybe a rich maiden aunt?

Jan1954
06-11-2007, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Michelle.

I know that it wasn't a rich deceased relative, as I've tracked them down and know what happened to any legacies.

However, the idea of a "rich employer" leaving her something appeals to me. But, until I can be sure that I've found her in 1901, I really have no idea as to whom to look for.

Anyway, why St Albans??? Ho, hum...

Thanks,

Jan

Wilkes_ml
06-11-2007, 9:20 PM
I've had a look on all my subscription sites, and I can not find any trace of her in 1881 or 1901 either. Have you followed all her siblings forward in time - could she be living with a married sister and mistranscribed or mis-enumerated under a sister's married name? i have also seen servants or lodgers whose name has be transcribed the same as the head of the household.

I can't think of anything else, apart from temporary emigration! Or maybe living with a man under his name, but not actually married - I've seen that before too!! Though I wouldn't expect her to revert back to her maiden name.

Jan1954
06-11-2007, 9:28 PM
Thanks for looking Michelle. It's encouraging to think that I'm not the only one who can't find her!

Her siblings are all accounted for, as are her parents and cousins.

There's the possibility of 1901 Jane Milsted, who has taken 20 years off her age. I'll check that one again and, next time I'm in London, will pop into the office in Holborn to check the will of the Head of the Household - see if that throws up any clues.

Thanks,

Jan

jeeb
06-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi Jan,
Here she is in 1881:- (indexed Mitsted)

RG11/807 Folio 63 Page 48
Elmwood, Coulsdon, Croydon

Hubert Fortesque Lawford Head umn 28 Stoke Broker London
John Rumles mar 51 Butler Devon Pianton
Mary Homer unm 43 Don Cook Kent Tinderden
Jane Milsted unm 39 Housemaid Kent Thorek?
Emma Webb unm 20 Kitchenmaid Kent Blackheath
Charles Shud unm 18 Footman Cheshire Ruddington

Looks like Hubert might have been worth a £ or 2!!
NB Mary Homer's place of birth.
Jane's is definitely Kent but place not easily readable.

Jeremy

Jan1954
06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Jeremy, you little darlin'! |hug|

Thank you for this. Hmm, the entry above does say Tenterden, so maybe they were transposed...

Now for 1901!

Thanks,

Jan

suedent
06-11-2007, 11:50 PM
As far as the 1901 census goes - does the 39 year old Jane appear in other censuses? If not perhaps the enumerator mis-read 59 for 39.

bumblebee
07-11-2007, 12:38 AM
There is quite a write up in the Times about Vincent Stuckey's death, the head of the household in 1901 (where there is a possible Jane Milstead). He died January 20th 1902.

Bumblebee

jeeb
07-11-2007, 6:56 PM
Hi Jan,
I would say that is almost definitely your Jane Milstead. Remember it would not be Jane who filled in the census form. The most likely scenario is that the Head of household asked the servants for their details and passed them on to the enumerator either by mouth or written on paper. Somewhere along the line it would be very easy to mistake a 5 for a 3 and I suspect that Jane had made no attempt on her part to deceive.

An old maiden aunt of my father's was a housekeeper for a batchelor for many years. He died in 1950's and left her very well off.

Jeremy

Jan1954
07-11-2007, 7:01 PM
Thanks Jeremy.

It reminds me of a record in the 1841 census. For ages I couldn't find Pharoah Smith (b 1837) but finally tracked down his parents (John and Elizabeth) in Ashdon, Essex. There was this unknown daughter recorded. Then I realised - it was Pharaoh but recorded as "Sarah".

I suppose with the flat Essex accent of the day the enumerator mis-heard! Bless...

You never know - you could now be in contact with one of Vincent Stuckey's "current" beneficiaries! |woohoo|

Thanks,

Jan

Jan1954
23-01-2008, 5:17 PM
There is quite a write up in the Times about Vincent Stuckey's death, the head of the household in 1901 (where there is a possible Jane Milstead). He died January 20th 1902.

Bumblebee

So today I had the opportunity to visit the Probate Office in Holborn, where I managed to lay my hands on a copy of Vincent Stuckey's will.

After 16 pages of henceforths, aforementioneds and messuages etc, plus 2 codicils, I am no closer to solving this riddle.

He left everything (valued at £42,856 11/3d) to his wife and 2 daughters - no mention of any other bequests (apart from to the other executor).

According to FreeBMD, his wife Mary may have died in 1902 as well, but I didn't see a will record for her.

So, my next question is:

If his wife had decided just to pass on a goodwill "handout" to any staff, would it be "cash in hand" or would it have been likely to have been done properly i.e. through a solicitor?

If the latter, any clues as to how I might find out more information?

Thanks,

Thomasin
04-03-2009, 8:52 PM
Here she is in 1881:-

RG11/807 Folio 63 Page 48
Elmwood, Coulsdon, Croydon

Mary Homer unm 43 Don Cook Kent Tinderden
Jane Milsted unm 39 Housemaid Kent Thorek?

This is definitely a transposition, Jan. FMP gives Thirsk as Jane's birthplace, but I have just looked for Mary Horner and she was born in Thirsk, Kent in 1839. Therefore Jane = Tenterden.

Thomasin

Jan1954
04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Thomasin - you have just confirmed my suspicions! |hug|

Browneyes
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
If his wife had decided just to pass on a goodwill "handout" to any staff, would it be "cash in hand" or would it have been likely to have been done properly i.e. through a solicitor?

Shakespeare left his bed to Ann Hathaway...:D...yeah I know, totally irrelevant.

Just a guess but if there were official Executors dealing with the matter they'd probably list everything. If not I suppose family members might have dealt with it on a more intimate basis.