PDA

View Full Version : Regents Park Barracks

AnnB
06-11-2007, 6:56 PM
I am doing some research for an elderly neighbour and I think I have found her great grandfather stationed at Regents Park Barracks at the time of the 1841 census. From the National Archives catalogue I found that in WO97/198 there is mention of him - "William Packer, born Minety, Wiltshire, served in 2nd Foot Guards. Discharged aged 24" (covering dates 1835-1842).

Not being very well up in military matters (in fact I admit to being almost totally ignorant :o) can anyone tell me whether the 2nd Foot Guards were at Regents Park Barracks in 1841?

Best wishes
Ann

Forrest Anderson
11-11-2007, 2:49 AM
I am doing some research for an elderly neighbour and I think I have found her great grandfather stationed at Regents Park Barracks at the time of the 1841 census. From the National Archives catalogue I found that in WO97/198 there is mention of him - "William Packer, born Minety, Wiltshire, served in 2nd Foot Guards. Discharged aged 24" (covering dates 1835-1842).

...can anyone tell me whether the 2nd Foot Guards were at Regents Park Barracks in 1841?

Regents Park Barracks was a cavalry barracks, and the 2nd Life Guards were based there from July 1840 to Jul 1841. Usually they were stationed there for a year, then moved to Hyde Park Barracks for a year, then to Windsor for another year, and then back to Regents Park Barracks. The 1st Life Guards and the Royal Horse Guards were the other two regiments which used Regents Park Barracks, and these three regiments annually rotated between the three locations.

The 2nd Regiment of Foot Guards was known as the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards, and in June 1841 the 1st Battalion was based at Portman Street Barracks, whilst the 2nd Battalion was in Canada. The Foot Guards also rotated round various barracks in London, including St Johns Wood, Wellington Barracks, St George's Barracks and the Tower of London.

Forrest

AnnB
11-11-2007, 8:33 AM
Hello Forrest

Thank you for that information, it is very much appreciated. I had no idea the regiments 'rotated' round the various barracks so frequently. So, from what you have told me, the William in Regents Park Barracks is not my neighbour's great grandfather, as he was not in the Cavalry. 'My' William was more likely to have been with the 2nd Battalion in Canada, as he doesn't appear to have been censused here in 1841.

Best wishes
Ann

Forrest Anderson
11-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Thank you for that information, it is very much appreciated. I had no idea the regiments 'rotated' round the various barracks so frequently. So, from what you have told me, the William in Regents Park Barracks is not my neighbour's great grandfather, as he was not in the Cavalry. 'My' William was more likely to have been with the 2nd Battalion in Canada, as he doesn't appear to have been censused here in 1841.

I think there are three likely scenarios:

Firstly, he was with the 1st Bn Coldstream Guards, normally based at Postman Street Barracks, but was on detached duty that day at Regents Park Barracks, which was pretty close.

Secondly, he was with the 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards in Canada, and doesn't appear on the census.

Thirdly, that he was with the 2nd Life Guards, and that his discharge documents have been mis-transcribed in the WO97 on-line index.

I'm not sure which scenario I favour. You could check the Muster Rolls and Pay Lists for the three units to see which one mentions him, but they are held at Kew. Alternatively, you could order the WO97 record from Kew or the LDS to see if it really does say the Foot Guards.

Forrest

AnnB
11-11-2007, 1:42 PM
Many thanks for those thoughts Forrest. I thought it would be a good idea to get hold of a copy of the WO97 record from Kew, so ordered it earlier on this morning. You must have been sending your comments as I was was ordering!!

Best wishes
Ann

AnnB
28-11-2007, 1:41 PM
Just an update on William Packer. Having obtained his discharge papers from the National Archives (excellent service), William was a private in the Coldstream Guards and was stationed in Quebec in 1841, so many thanks again Forrest - you were spot on :)

He was discharged because of 'diseased lungs contracted in the Service'

Best wishes
Ann

Forrest Anderson
29-11-2007, 7:55 PM
Just an update on William Packer. Having obtained his discharge papers from the National Archives (excellent service), William was a private in the Coldstream Guards and was stationed in Quebec in 1841, so many thanks again Forrest - you were spot on :)

Glad you got an answer! :)

Forrest