PDA

View Full Version : MORRISON and WATERS etc in Wick

janiegirl
04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Whilst researching my husbands side of the family I cam across David WATERS. On his marriage certificate he gives his mothers name as Christina WATERS ms MORRISON.

In the 1861 Census he is at home with his mum at 48 Coach Road in Wick.

She is 28 and listed as Christina MORRISON - unmarried - head
Also in the household is:

Alexander GRAY son 9
David WATERS son 6
John AIRD son 4
Donald BEGG son 1
Janet MORRISON sister 22
Alexander MORRISON sister's son 6
George MUNRO (no relationship recorded) 8 months

Is anyone researching any of these names in the Wick/Caithness area?

I think it is highly unlikely that she ever did marry David's dad who was also David MORRISON.

It seems unusual to say the least that she had 4 children by different men (especially given the times they were living in), although there is a neighbouring house in the street where the children have different surnames to their mother or father who are married. Can anyone shed anymore light on this?

Thanks

Janiegirl

Jan1954
04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
It seems unusual to say the least that she had 4 children by different men (especially given the times they were living in), although there is a neighbouring house in the street where the children have different surnames to their mother or father who are married.
Janiegirl

Could they be "middle" names?

Jan

janiegirl
04-11-2007, 6:56 PM
I don't think so as there are ditto marks for another family on the same page where they all have the same surname but none for this family.

I will bear it in mind though.

thanks

Janiegirl

joette
05-11-2007, 9:09 AM
I have found this to in my tree-lots.It seems that our ancestors were less worried about the stigma of illegitamcy than we thought.

I have several with children of differing surnames.It may be they were married irregularly & thus no record exist but I think it less likely.It just seems that children were welcomed despite their provenance & that in the mainly rural areas their Fathers were less likely to be able to hide their handiwork.

It cost lots of money to get married,many folks "lived in " at work & the need to remain independent seems to loom large