PDA

View Full Version : ILLEGITIMACY.

janz
03-11-2007, 6:50 AM
|help| CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? MY GREATGRANDMOTHER HAD A SISTER BORN AFTER HER FATHER DIED.HER NAME WAS MARY AND SHE WAS BORN IN 1895 TO MARIA ANDERSON AT TRUMPET TERRACE CLEATOR.IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ME TO FIND OUT WHO HER FATHER WAS AS I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA SO ONLY HAVE THE INTERNET TO RELY ON? THANKYOU
JANET RIGG|nopity|

hughar
03-11-2007, 1:43 PM
The most obvious suggestion is to find the details of Mary's birth in the GRO Index of births or on FreeBMD and order Mary's birth certificate to see if her father is named on it.
You could also check the 1901 census for Mary and her mother Maria, and see if there is a man living with them. It will not be conclusive, but may give an indication.
Remember the possibility of Maria having married Mary's father and Mary's birth having been registered under the new name. In this case you will need to look for Maria's second marriage some time after the death of her first husband but before the birth of Mary. Or perhaps Maria may have married the father after Mary's birth?
Another possibility is that if Mary married, her father's name may be given on her marriage certificate.

Annie
03-11-2007, 1:57 PM
This could be your family on the 1901 census, no lodger living there:
John Anderson 24
Maria Anderson 44
Martha Anderson 18
Mary Anderson 6
Matthew Anderson 16
Thomas Anderson 14
RG13; Piece: 4895; Folio: 71; Page: 9