PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on Cemetries in Sussex

Jan Longley
29-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I am seeking information on Cemetries in the Withyham, Crowbrough, and looking for my AKEHURST relations. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jan
Newcastle Oz

Jane M
29-11-2004, 6:33 PM
Hi Jan,
I can help you with marriages in Sussex if you like. Loads of Akehurst's. Give me some details & I'll see what I can do,
Jane

Jan Longley
30-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Hi Jane

Thanks for the offer to help. I trying to find marriage of AKEHURST Henry(akhurst) to Eliza (her surname could be GILBERT not sure abt 1864-1870)
also William Akehurst to Florence Violet ( this is a tricky on.) I have her death certificate but her surname is unknown. She died 1906.

Thanks
Jan oz

Jane M
06-12-2004, 6:26 PM
Hi Jan,

My index only goes up to 1837, I should have pointed that out on my first posting, so can't help with your query, Freebmd or 1837 online would be the way to go for that. Anything prior to 1837 I'm willing to help with,
Good luck,
Jane

Stossie
23-10-2007, 3:50 PM
Hi Jane, I'm looking for the parents of Charles Akehurst b.1787,married to Ruth Frost b.1792.Married May 1, 1810 .I think he came from Heathfield & she From Mayfield.I think they were married in Hurstmonceux.( these places mean nothing to me as I'm from the USA,are they names of towns? or what?I know what part of England Sussex is but that's it Sorry )I found Ruth's parents as John Frost & Sarah Cornford.This family came to USA in1832 with 10 children & a new daughter-in-law,Ruth Boniface(who married the eldest son also Charles on April24,1832 )The patriarch died & was buried at seabut the rest of the family made it to USA & settled in Maryland.Hoping you can help me find some record with Charles parentage!!!The names Stephen & John are in the family stories????? :confused:Stossie

Jane M
23-10-2007, 6:11 PM
Hi Stossie,
It seems they married TWICE...probably to pacify both sets of parents :D
otp = Of this parish at the time of the marriage not necessarily they were born there.

Wartling, East Sussex, 24 Feb 1810:
Ruth FROST, Herstmonceux
Charles AKEHURST, otp

Herstmonceux, East Sussex, 1 May 1810:
Ruth FROST, otp
Charles AKEHURST, Wartling

There is only a member submitted (treat with caution) entry for a baptism for Charles Akehurst 14/10/1787, Hurstmonceux s/o John & Sarah Funnell. You would have to check the parish registers for Hurstmonceux to verify it. However, there is a marriage for John & Sarah Funnell;

Hellingly, East Sussex, 23 Feb 1775:
John AKEHURST, bach
Sarah FUNNELL, botp (B)

There is a good Sussex parish map at the Sussex Family History Group web site you can print it out it you like so you can see where you are,

jane

Jane M
28-10-2007, 3:55 PM
Hi Stossie,
Generally speaking parish registers are not online but there are exeptions. Online Parish Clerks (OPC) has someone covering Herstmonceux & Wartling so they might be able to help.

My next idea was to try the LDS IGI (familysearch) site to see if you could order the film of the registers from your nearest LDS branch but looking at Hugh Wallis's site, Herstmonceux isn't included & Wartling only has baptism's 1881-1888 & some later marriages.

You can explore the Sussex Family History Group some more, checking out the member surname interests to see if someone else is looking into the Akehurst name in the same area.

Failing all that, what I do (as I'm not in the UK either) is to buy the microfiche of the parish & providing you can access a microfiche reader at a library or research facility, away you go. I treated myself to a small hand-held reader which is perfectly ok for my purposes.

Jane