PDA

View Full Version : Medal Card/Discharge Document

winnie
29-11-2004, 6:01 AM
I too am having problems deciphering the medal card and any help will be most appreciated. I have the Medal card for my grandfather George Henry Eldergill which shows:
Corps KRRC 6th Ba (which I understand is the Kings Royal Rifle Corp)
Reg.No C/3125 Rank Rfn (which I understand is rifleman), however I am
stuck on the next remarks:
Date of Discharge has been crossed out and in its place the following has been written: TRANSFER 31.3.17 Enlistment 6.5.15
In the next column ie Date of Discharge it appears to read
Class P A Res Sickness
Under the section which shows (a) Badge and (b) Medal
a box has been stamped which shows
MEDAL ROLL PAGE
Victory M/101 B/5? 628
British do do
Star

Action taken List M 574

I assume that he received the above two medals, not sure though and I do not understand what List M574 means. I'm hoping someone can help me out,

Winnie

Geoffers
29-11-2004, 2:25 PM
[I have the Medal card for my grandfather George Henry Eldergill.....I am
stuck on:
Date of Discharge has been crossed out and in its place the following has been written: TRANSFER 31.3.17 Enlistment 6.5.15]

The enlistment date is fairly obvious, the transfer indicates that he was moved on that date to another unit - possibly as a result of his injury/sickness

[Under the section which shows (a) Badge and (b) Medal a box has been stamped which shows
MEDAL ROLL PAGE
Victory M/101 B/5? 628
British do do
Star
Action taken List M 574
I assume that he received the above two medals]

The card shows he was entitled to these medals - these cards were created as a single index to the Army Medal Office Rolls - the references given are those used by the Army Medal Office as a way of referring back to their original records. I would assume (though I don't know for sure) that the action taken refers to the roll recording the actual awarding of the medal.

Geoffers

winnie
29-11-2004, 7:59 PM
Thanks for your prompt replies, this has certainly enabled me to understand the medal card and I will investigate whether my grandfather did in fact receive the medals shown. Winnie