PDA

View Full Version : In the News

charlie7
01-11-2007, 8:25 AM
Iv'e been watching the news this morning,i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but the government are telling the police that they have to delete criminal records dating back over a hundred years,are there any other places that hold these records so that ancestry seekers can get to them, if not a lot of people will lose information they find valuable to them,personally i haven't found anyone in my tree with a criminal record but if i did i would want to know more

Mutley
01-11-2007, 4:02 PM
It is only four police forces and the records of the four living people concerned are for very minor offences. Each force is appealing against the ruling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7072241.stm

It will be interesting to watch the developments, at least our dead ancestors cannot sue for breach of the data protection act.;)

Peter Goodey
01-11-2007, 4:23 PM
Genealogists obtain information on criminal convictions from the records of the courts, not the police.

charlie7
01-11-2007, 8:53 PM
this is just how much things get taken out of proportion, what the media tv stated was so much more than what it really is, you just never know what to believe either through tv news or newspapers do you?

Mutley
02-11-2007, 12:12 AM
In this hobby you learn to take everything with a pinch of salt.

In the olden days - They either, really did not know, were liars, were illiterate, were living in the land of make believe, had a sense of humour or were just plain daft.

In modern times - No change there then!!!! :D:D:D