PDA

View Full Version : Looking for William Goodlad in 1891 Census

robertgoodlad
31-10-2007, 8:14 PM
I've been looking for my grandfather in the above census for quite some time.
His job description in the 1881 census was as a "groom domestic" and he then appears in 1901 as a "domestic coachman" and married.
I've checked the Registers and cannot find his marriage between 1891 and 1901.Can anyone help to solve the puzzle?
Many thanks Bob Goodlad

Sue Mackay
31-10-2007, 8:27 PM
There are 18 William Goodlads in the 1891 census index for England and several more in Scotland. In order to have any hope of finding the right one you need to tell us the age and place of birth that you have found listed in 1881 and 1901.

robertgoodlad
01-11-2007, 6:35 PM
Hello Sue,
Many thanks for your quick response.William was born 20th July 1861 which
would make him 29 at the time of the 1891 census.He was born in Sheffield.
On the 1881 census he was a groom to Victor Alexander,Earl of Grosvenor
at Saighton Range,Cheshire.The Earl died three years later and I couldn't find him again until 1901.
His marriage is also rather difficult to trace.His wife,my grandmother on my father's side,was single in 1891 as Harriett Bennett working in London.
In 1901 they are married with three children the first being born in 1896 in London.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Many thanks
Bob

Ruth1
01-11-2007, 7:07 PM
Try William Goodrad - RG12/18/125/11.

On the page it looks like Goodlad to me. He was also born in Sheffield c1860 and occupation is a coachman/groom.

I found this one by putting William Good*, 1861 and Sheffield in the appropriate search fields. Hope it is yours.

Sue Mackay
01-11-2007, 7:21 PM
Confess I can't immediately locate him in 1891 either. I wonder, as he worked with horses for at least one aristocratic family, if he went over to Ireland for a spell?

Edit: Looks like Ruth may have found him!

robertgoodlad
02-11-2007, 8:06 PM
Try William Goodrad - RG12/18/125/11.

On the page it looks like Goodlad to me. He was also born in Sheffield c1860 and occupation is a coachman/groom.

I found this one by putting William Good*, 1861 and Sheffield in the appropriate search fields. Hope it is yours.

Hello Ruth,
You are a real beauty,many thanks for your help and it definitely looks as if William Goodlad as shown on the 1891 Census, which I checked on my CD collection,is my paternal Grandfather.It would seem that my grandmother was working in and around the same area in London.
The next thing is a marrige to Harriett Bennett sometime between 1891 and possibly 1896-can you help in this quest.
Many thanks Bob

Ruth1
03-11-2007, 4:54 PM
I can't help with the marriage, I'm afraid. I have used every trick I know including just looking for a Harriet and a William on FreeBMD in the hope that surnames have been mistranscribed, as well as looking through the complete index images and haven't found anything. With a bit of luck someone else will find a way of tracking them down.

I suppose the only other thing to do is to look through the marriage registers for the area in which Harriet was living in 1891, at least as a starting point, in the hope that for some reason the details didn't make it on to the GRO index. I don't know how likely this is for a marriage but there is always the possibility of human error in transferring the details.

Good luck with the hunt anyway.

robertgoodlad
04-11-2007, 7:42 PM
Ruth,
Many thanks for all the trouble you have taken to check for William Goodlad and Harriett Bennett's marriage.I have to give a big thanks to this B-G Forum for the very quick and helpful response that one gets.It looks like a visit to London and the various centres where marriage records are maintained for the
London Boroughs-that is assuming they got married and that's a different ball game.
If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Many thaks
Bob Goodlad

robertgoodlad
24-02-2010, 1:13 PM
To Ruth,
A little postscipt to William Goodlad which I think will amuse.I don't think he ever got married but he fathered two other children before he met Harriett Bennett.In 1901 Census he appears with Harriett and my Aunts and Uncle;in 1911,which really opened the can of worms, he's not with Harriett but with another women and two children older than my Aunts and Uncle.All of this only came to light when trying to trace who was present at his death in 1933 which was this other woman named as his "widow".
Regards Bob