PDA

View Full Version : Smilies

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 7:21 PM
Whilst I can access a smilie for the header (see demonstration for this post), I am unable to access those within the message.

If I click on one, or even "more", the page moves but no smilie appears.

I don't have access to the bold, underlined, italic, align etc at the top, either.

Oh yes - I don't have the smilies disabled, just in case you asked.

Please help.........

Thanks

MarkJ
31-10-2007, 7:31 PM
In the User CP, under Edit Options, at the bottom is a section called Miscelleaneous options. Message Interface Options in there should allow you to choose the basic or more featured posting options.
Otherwise, at the bottom left of the posting box there is the Posting Rules box. Are Smilies turned On there?

Mark

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 8:43 PM
Hi Mark,Well, I checked the codes at the bottom of the posting box and all are on apart from the HTML code (whatever that is...)Checked the optons too - tried each one - nada!The smilies used to work... Could it be my pc?Thanks,Jan

Neil Wilson
31-10-2007, 9:07 PM
|computer|Have you a pop-up blocker on your browser which is enabled?
Also check this on your broswer -
Click on Tools, Pop-up Blocker

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 9:15 PM
I'm on aol and they set a new hope page this week - can I blame them????

Neil - I have pop-ups blocked and always have done and could get access before...

Please remember that you are also talking to a non-technical person, here... I still don't fully understand cookies - I thought that they were American biscuits...

Ho, hum... (in lieu of a smilie..)

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 9:18 PM
Now I can't even edit!!! Aaaargh!!!I meant HOME page...

MarkJ
31-10-2007, 9:23 PM
It may be related to the AOL update I suppose. They include a pop up blocker in their software, so there is a slight chance that is causing the issue - at least as far as calling up the extra smilies. The basic ones should be available with or without a blocker I assume.

It does sound as though you have the "basic" editor enabled in the User CP - that is what I use myself and thus I don't get the option to add italics or bold etc. If I really need them, I prefer to simply add the code to my post. In the UserCP, see if the editor selection (right at the very bottom of the Edit Options as mentioned above) is set to the basic one. If so, try changing to one of the more "featured" options and see if that brings back the smilies and other options.

Fingers crossed :)

Mark

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 9:32 PM
Thanks Mark, but bin there, tried that.

I shall just resign myself to never having smilies again.....

(boo, hoo)

Unless the god of computers looks favourably upon me again.

(I can muck up the one at work, too!)

Oh yes, talking of work, I'll try to access B-G tomorrow whilst no-one's looking and see what happens!

MarkJ
31-10-2007, 9:50 PM
I doubt it is a PC problem Jan. Hopefully Bo Peep will spot the thread and have a look to make sure your settings are all in order.
Do smiles not work for you even if you manually type them? E.g a colon followed by a right bracket should give a smiling face etc.

Mark

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 9:55 PM
Just trying
:)

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 9:55 PM
Well, that seemed to work!
:D

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 9:58 PM
Just now got to remember all the codes ...
How do you do the ones that have a line in front of them?

Thanks

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Bo Peep,

The smilies are on the right and the icons (which like me - I can use them) are at the bottom.

Also, the bold, italic etc stuff is at the top but not "live", if you know what I mean.

Jan

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Nothing!

The cursor is flashing in this box, I click on either a smilie on the right or bold etc at the top and nothing happens.

If I click on the word "more" that's with the smilies, the page bar on the right, which I've moved down so that I can see the whole box, shoots to the top - but doesn't open the box of more smilies.

Does this make sense?

MarkJ
31-10-2007, 10:49 PM
That does sound like the new window is not opening Jan. When you click the more button, a small window should open I believe giving you more choices.
Which browser are you using - the AOL one, Internet Explorer or another, such as Firefox?
I would have a look at the browser settings and check what is being blocked. You could try turning off the pop up blocking for a minute and attempting to get those smilies to show - that would show if the issue was a pop up blocker or not.

Mark

Jan1954
31-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Hello Mark,I use the aol browser but Bo Peep has suggested in a PM that I check my security settings. Macafee has been very active this week - sometimes it's almost as if it doesn't even want to let ME in!Meanwhile, I shall check the settings - it will have to be tomorrow now as I have to sleep (leave the house at 06.20) - and I'll report back.Thank you ALL for your suggestions, time and help - it's very much appreciated.Jan xxPS will see what the PC at work will allow me to do.

MarkJ
31-10-2007, 11:09 PM
It is most likely to be either the McAffee or AOL browser settings Jan - those are the ones which have changed lately you mentioned. AOLs browser is actually based on IE nowadays (it was Netscape years ago) and has been since around AOL5 I think if my memory serves me correctly.
Any changes to the AOL browser will also impact on IE settings to a degree.
As you say, try the work machine - if that works OK, then it is one of those programs at home which is causing the issue - so you need to look at the various security settings and hopefully it will become clear which one is the problem.

Mark

Jan1954
01-11-2007, 7:42 AM
Hello everyone,

Am now at work and am still unable to access the smilies or the bold/italic stuff at the top.

As long as I can still post messages/answer queries, it's not that important - frustrating, yes.

I shall go in search of a small child to look at my computer...

Thanks again for all your help,

Jan

Neil Wilson
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Jan
Assuming that you have Internet Explorer on your PC, log in to AOL, then open your IE browser that's the big blue e, log in to B-G and try the smilies from there.

Jan1954
02-11-2007, 7:13 PM
Hello Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll be blowed if I have a big ble "E" :)

I shall have a rummage amongst aol, mcafee and the vodka bottle and see what I can find.

If you see that I suddenly send a message that's FULL of smilies, you'll know I've cracked it! :D

Jan

MarkJ
02-11-2007, 7:20 PM
If you see that I suddenly send a message that's FULL of smilies, you'll know I've cracked it! :D

Jan

I think you can only post 4 smilies at one time Jan (there is one which comprises of lots of green bouncy smileys, but that is classed as one smiley!)

Mark

Neil Wilson
02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hello Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll be blowed if I have a big ble "E" :)

I shall have a rummage amongst aol, mcafee and the vodka bottle and see what I can find.

JanWell have look at the Firefox browser http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
Some people say it is better than Internet Explorer. I am still to make up my mind.
P.S. mine is a whiskey or whisky, Irish or scotch , malt or a better blend (name of a bird).

MarkJ
02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Bearing in mind that the issue persists at work Jan, then it would seem to point to a common factor between your work and home PCs. Most likely a forum setting I suspect, but it could be some common program which you have at work and home. Do you have AOL at work as well? If not, then that looks like it rules AOL out. Likewise, do you have McAfee at work and home?
Once you narrow it down to common factors which exist on both machines (or the B-G settings for your user name), it may make it easier to track the problem down.

PS - I am with Neil on the whisky front ;)

Mark

Mutley
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Not a problem I have, my PC is so addicted to smileys......http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/ajbraley1_photo/SORRY.gif
I am sure they now appear all by themselves.......:D

But,
Could you PM someone you trust (who can get smileys as them) with your password, to log in as you and see if they can then get smileys. Then you would know if it was you or not.

Now I have confused myself and don't know if that is allowed?? :confused:

Jan1954
02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Do you have AOL at work as well? If not, then that looks like it rules AOL out. Likewise, do you have McAfee at work and home?Mark

I work for HM Gvt, so definitely not aol but we do use Mcafee

PS - I am with Neil on the whisky front ;)

Mark

Yuk!

Sue Mackay
02-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Could you PM someone you trust (who can get smileys as them) with your password, to log in as you and see if they can then get smileys. Then you would know if it was you or not.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/superchibiwings/Emoticons.gif

Have finally cracked how Mutley does it, but worry not, I haven't the patience to do likewise very often!

MarkJ
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I used to be a Civil Servant too Jan :)
Ok, so we can rule out AOL and, probably by the same working, your internet settings in general.
So we are left with McAfee - but I know another user on the forum with an updated McAfee install who has no issues, so that is likely to rule that out (not 100% - it could be a specific setting on your system, but it is unlikely).
So we are back to the User CP settings or another forum specific issue for your particular account.
Bo Peep has checked the settings from her end and all appeared normal, but perhaps there is something small we are missing.

The only thing I can think of - which we have looked at before, but it is the only thing I can see which would cause this, is in the UserCP settings.
In there, under Settings & Options is Edit Options.
Click that and look down the various options there. The ones worth a look are -

Thread Display Options - Visible Post Options. Tick all those boxes.

Miscellaneous Options - Message Editor Interface. Select Enhanced Interface.

Remember to Save Changes at the bottom of the page before exiting the User CP.

Mark

MarkJ
02-11-2007, 11:16 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/superchibiwings/Emoticons.gif

Have finally cracked how Mutley does it, but worry not, I haven't the patience to do likewise very often!

Blimey Sue! That is as bad as one of Mutleys smileys! :D

Mutley
03-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Oi you lot, don't have a go at me. My PC does it all by itself.
I just press a few buttons and up they come|needpics|!!

Always wanted to use that one. :D

Jan1954
03-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Well, I've borrowed a friend's computer and logged in as me
and....

:D
:confused:
|computer|

so what now?

MarkJ
03-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Well, it proves that the problem is with your machine I think.
But exactly what that is...... not sure :(
McAfee security settings perhaps? Especially if you had the same problem - and same McAfee version at work and neither machine gave you the smilies. Seems the logical option...

Mark

Jan1954
06-11-2007, 8:18 PM
YIPPEE!!!

I have bold,italic,underlined and smilies back!!!!!

|woohoo|

I'm chuffed to little mintballs!!!|jumphappy

Thank you all for your help and suggestions |hug|

And I haven't touched a thing??!!??

Computers move in mysterious ways...|computer|

Jan XXXXXXX

Sue Mackay
06-11-2007, 8:34 PM
Computers move in mysterious ways...|computer|

Sometimes the little dears just need a rest - they get headaches because we do far too much |banghead| |banghead|

I talk to mine :o, mostly in Anglo Saxon but occasionally in soothing encouraging tones :D

Mutley
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I have always found computers are rather like my kids,

tell em once, nada
tell em twice, maybe but don't bank on it
tell em three times and threaten with ...... and hey presto

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/Eve3lover/whoohoo.gif

Neil Wilson
07-11-2007, 7:02 PM
I have always found computers are rather like my kids,

tell em once, nada
tell em twice, maybe but don't bank on it
tell em three times and threaten with ...... and hey presto

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/Eve3lover/whoohoo.gif
Did the standard one today at work, phoned the helpdesk and hey, as soon as the answered it worked perfectly.