PDA

View Full Version : Worcestershire Records Office

Lindad
27-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Whilst on holiday, my cousin and I recently visited the Worcestershire Records Office. We were really impressed - especially by one female member of staff who couldn't have been more helpful. We came away with armfuls of photocopies, which we're still working our way through - albeit with great excitement as (we think) we've managed to tie up a crucial break in the family line!

If you haven't yet visited and have the chance to do so, we'd thoroughly recommend it. The Records Office is located close to the centre of Worcester, it's easy to park nearby, they provide basic refreshment via a vending machine - and the records office itself is bright, airy and full of treasure! It was busy the day we were there (a Tuesday morning) and yet there were plenty of fische screens and tables available.

If only the same could be said for the Gloucestershire Records Office that we visited two days later. Thanks to the attitude of one of their staff, we won't be rushing back to that!!

SBSFamilyhistory
27-10-2007, 3:16 PM
Whilst on holiday, my cousin and I recently visited the Worcestershire Records Office. We were really impressed - especially by one female member of staff who couldn't have been more helpful. We came away with armfuls of photocopies, which we're still working our way through - albeit with great excitement as (we think) we've managed to tie up a crucial break in the family line!

If only the same could be said for the Gloucestershire Records Office that we visited two days later. Thanks to the attitude of one of their staff, we won't be rushing back to that!!

have you given feedback to both councils!

I would if I were you.

Worcestershire, because I expect they would like to hear you had a positive experience.

Gloucestershire, because it sounds as if they need to buck their ideas up. Better still I live not far from the offices in Gloucester and I would soon have people thinking I, sorry no the office, was wonderful.

PL Heap
19-01-2008, 8:50 PM
I would like to add my thanks and praise too. It's the best research room we have come across anywhere and the staff were very helpful when we were there this week. We are so used to ancient machines of many and various designs that we usually groan at the thought of researching microfilms, but at Worcester everything was bright, airy and spacious with rows of matching readers which worked efficiently.
PLJ

netti
12-08-2008, 7:34 PM
Can I just say that it's correct title is Worcester History Centre? The record office is a different place and is at County Hall on the outskirts of Worcester. You need to go here to look at original documents - the History Centre has microfilms and books.

Hope this helps someone!

I totally agree about the praise though

netti