PDA

View Full Version : Finding out who the clergyman was

dcmbarton
26-10-2007, 8:18 PM
I have a marriage at the Parish Church of St. Cuthbert in Darlington in 1834, but I cannot read the Rector / Vicar / Curate's name. It looks like John Maivarie, but I can't find anything matching that.

Is it possible to find out who the this was at that time - possibly in a directory or suchlike?

David

bwarnerok
26-10-2007, 8:41 PM
perhaps there's something in this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=U98MAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA122&dq=st+cuthbert+darlington+1834#PPA134,M1

uksearch
26-10-2007, 8:42 PM
I have a marriage at the Parish Church of St. Cuthbert in Darlington in 1834, but I cannot read the Rector / Vicar / Curate's name. It looks like John Maivarie, but I can't find anything matching that.

Is it possible to find out who the this was at that time - possibly in a directory or suchlike?

David

Try Crockford's Directory.

UK

Lindad
27-10-2007, 10:40 AM
You could maybe contact the church and ask. Many churches have a 'roll of honour' on display in the church listing the names of all the Rectors/Vicars going way back. The current church wardens should be able to help.

arthurk
27-10-2007, 2:03 PM
Pigot's Directory for 1834 includes under "Nobility, Gentry and Clergy" for Darlington Rev. John Marriner, living in Harewood Hill, though it doesn't say which church he was attached to.

The text introduction for the town names the incumbent as the Rev. J.W.D. Mereot. I find it a little odd that Mr Mereot isn't listed in the alpahbetical Clergy section, and I suspect one of the names might be a misprint - I've sometimes found these in Pigot's. Which is correct I couldn't say, though I checked an 1841 census index and couldn't find any Mereots anywhere in England. And Maivarie does look a bit more like Marriner.

Arthur

dcmbarton
27-10-2007, 2:33 PM
Pigot's Directory for 1834 includes under "Nobility, Gentry and Clergy" for Darlington Rev. John Marriner, living in Harewood Hill, though it doesn't say which church he was attached to.

Super - that's it! Thank you!

David

arthurk
27-10-2007, 4:17 PM
:)

Arthur