PDA

View Full Version : Lookup MCLELLAN in Glasgow please

janiegirl
26-10-2007, 7:25 PM
I am trying to track down a son of William MCLELLAN b1857 and Jeanie HANNAH b1856. They lived in Govan in Glasgow in 1901.

Can anyone find a record of them having a son called James?

I ask because I have been told that one of William and Jeanie's sons played football for Third Lanark (a Glasgow football team), the Scottish Football Museum say they have record of a James MCLELLAN playing for them in the late 1920's early 30's but I only have 2 sons Thomas b1895 and William b1901 in the 1901 census.

I contacted a fan of Third Lanark who knows a lot of the history of the team and, so far he has found nothing on William or Thomas.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Janiegirl

Trish
27-10-2007, 2:18 AM
I am trying to track down a son of William MCLELLAN b1857 and Jeanie HANNAH b1856. They lived in Govan in Glasgow in 1901.

Can anyone find a record of them having a son called James?

I ask because I have been told that one of William and Jeanie's sons played football for Third Lanark (a Glasgow football team), the Scottish Football Museum say they have record of a James MCLELLAN playing for them in the late 1920's early 30's but I only have 2 sons Thomas b1895 and William b1901 in the 1901 census.

I contacted a fan of Third Lanark who knows a lot of the history of the team and, so far he has found nothing on William or Thomas.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

JaniegirlJaniegirl,

Have you checked out http://www.indopedia.org/Third_Lanark_F.C..html?

Unfortunately, I can't help with the football part but I think the 1891 census listing for this family may add some mystery -- if you haven't already seen it...

Census: 1891: Parish: Glasgow Govan; ED 34; Line 18
Address: 10 Hallside St., Hutchesontown [Registration District]
-- William McLellan 36 Head Boiler Fireman born Leven, Dumbartonshire
-- Jeanie McLellan 35 Wife born Glasgow Lanarkshire
-- William McLellan 12 Son Scholar born Glasgow Lanarkshire
-- Mary McLellan 10 Daur Scholar born Glasgow Lanarkshire
-- Maggie McLellan 2 Daur born Glasgow Lanarkshire

Did something happen to this older son named William by 1901? Or did the family have 2 living sons named William [which is a possibility]?

Regards,
Trish

janiegirl
27-10-2007, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the link Trish, I have looked at this Third Lanark site:
http://www.thirdlanarkac.co.uk/
but not that one.

Thanks for the 1891 Census. That is a mystery what happened to William! In my own family history research I have only found 2 children with the same name if the first one has died.

I'll see what I can find and let you know or can anyone else help?

Regards

Janiegirl

janiegirl
27-10-2007, 1:12 PM
I have just tried Scotland's People and I can find no William MCLELLAN death with the mother's maiden name of HANNAH right up until 1956 (the latest you can search for a death).

Trish
27-10-2007, 2:27 PM
I have just tried Scotland's People and I can find no William MCLELLAN death with the mother's maiden name of HANNAH right up until 1956 (the latest you can search for a death).The 1901 census has an entry which could be a possibility for the older son William:

Census: 1901: Parish: Old Monkland; ED 10; Line 17
Address: 4 Whittington St., Old Monkland, Lanarkshire [Coatbridge]
-- William McLelland [sic] 24 Head Hammerman Smithy born Glasgow Lanarkshire
-- Susan McLelland 23 Wife born Coatbridge Lanarkshire
-- William McLelland 2 Son born Coatbridge Lanarkshire
-- Margaret McLelland 3 mo. Daur born Coatbridge Lanarkshire

I just checked the 1881 census and the older William is there as a three-year-old with parents William Senior and Jeanie -- so we know it's not some kind of entry error on the later census:

Census: 1881: Parish: Glasgow Hutchesontown; ED 29; Line 1
Address: 43 Naburn St, Glasgow Hutchesontown, Lanarkshire
-- William McLellan 25 Head Dyers Labourer born Jamestown Dumbartonshire
-- Jeanie McLellan 25 Wife born Glasgow Lanarkshire
-- William McLellan 3 Son born Glasgow Lanarkshire
-- Mary McLellan 9 mos. Daughter born Glasgow Lanarkshire

HTH,
Trish

janiegirl
28-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Trish :D